You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-23 07:45:20

graemew66

test raid1 in virtual

Hey all,
As the subject says I want a software raid1 on a server so testing in a virtual fist, so here goes!
1/ setting pc to boot off usb (sda) so to navigate the whole grub raid wont start problem
2/ two drives sdb and sdc
3/ all installed ok and working like I hoped
4/ problem starts when testing disk failure is when I remove either of the sdb or sdc drives grub starts, runs menu, but from there, when it runs system checks of course its looking for two disks need for the raid and can't find one so drops back to an emergency shell.

I have the feeling I'm expecting more than what a software raid can give us, ie: that raids are only really good for running systems that have a disk failure so can be changed out and re sync but once powered down ya stuffed?.

Any suggestions on where i'm wrong or a better way to set up this server are most welcome.

Thanks.

#2 2018-05-23 07:51:54

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: test raid1 in virtual

Mod note: Moving thread to "Applications & Desktop Environments".

#3 2018-05-26 17:11:35

cafe

I have a raid 10 running on a server for a year or so.. I've put the hole /boot in the USB drive so that grub looks for a drive by its label, not physical path. I've also used mdadm in early boot to manage the array, monitor and send me e-mails when a drive fails. Already saved me once, by the way wink

#4 2018-05-26 17:22:10

frostschutz

specific error messages you might be seeing and dmesg outputs and more detail about your configuration would probably help here

otherwise it's a guessing game

a defective drive can block the boot process if it's not completely dead but just takes forever to respond to read requests, but you can hardly blame software raid for that

in general it works just fine

Board footer