You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-28 16:25:28

ezacaria

eSATA speed on disk cradle

I have an old Sharkoon Quickport Pro connected via eSATA, which has worked quite OK throughout the years. The only problem is that, no matter what disk I put in it, the link always comes up as 1.5 gbps. I've used discs with SATA 3.0 and 3.2, in SSD and mechanical variants.

The same eSATA port and cable yield negotiated 6 gbps with several enclosures, therefore it seems to be this particular cradle/dock that has an issue.

Couple of years back there was a discussion about enclosures and autonegotiated link speeds, but it seems that there is not much to do other than exchanging the hardware.

Any ideas about what could be checked about the autonegotiation before buying a new one?

#2 2018-06-03 06:23:08

ezacaria

Re: eSATA speed on disk cradle

I went ahead and bought another enclosure. It is a SDOCKU313E from Startech. Now the link is coming up at 6gbps right away when hooked to the same eSATA port as before.

We can just close this, and I will keep the old dock as spare. There is now the question of performance of the SSDs on the dock, but that is a topic for a different thread smile

Board footer