You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-03 18:04:03

lumiwa

digital camera

Hi!

I have a digital camera long time but I never try to connect to computer. I use a card reader, copy pictures to computer and use Gimp or some other program.
And now a question: what is difference between what I am doing and users who connected camera to computer, please?

Thanks,

Mitja

#2 2006-08-03 19:34:16

vacant

Re: digital camera

I have a Fuji A350 which appears in KDE storage applet as "removable media" so I just click to mount it (it then appears as a mounted camera icon). In Digikam, I then have my camera defined as "/media/sda1" and can download/delete photos/movies.

#3 2006-08-03 20:55:01

lumiwa

vacant wrote:

I have a Fuji A350 which appears in KDE storage applet as "removable media" so I just click to mount it (it then appears as a mounted camera icon). In Digikam, I then have my camera defined as "/media/sda1" and can download/delete photos/movies.

I have a Nikon D50 and Digikam also recognize but I don't see a difference between If I use a card reader or direct camera conection. I don't like connect camera because I had a bad experience with one old camera: after time conectors on camera became not good and for me is easy to take card out of camera put in the reader and that is it smile.

Thanks.

#4 2006-08-05 07:13:23

Jacek Poplawski
Website

You don't need to touch the card, when you can connect camera through USB. I use Olympus SP 500, and it's visible under my arch as /media/usbstick (no need to mount). I never remove card from my camera.

#5 2006-08-05 08:42:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

lumiwa wrote:

what is difference between what I am doing and users who connected camera to computer, please?

There is very little difference, unless the camera only uses PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) and not USB Mass Storage. The solution in this case is to use gphoto2 and one of its frontends to manage the camera.

Having said that, I still prefer to use a card reader with my PTP camera, I find USB Mass Storage more flexible and reliable than PTP.

#6 2006-08-05 13:28:43

lumiwa

tomk wrote:
lumiwa wrote:

what is difference between what I am doing and users who connected camera to computer, please?

There is very little difference, unless the camera only uses PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) and not USB Mass Storage. The solution in this case is to use gphoto2 and one of its frontends to manage the camera.

Having said that, I still prefer to use a card reader with my PTP camera, I find USB Mass Storage more flexible and reliable than PTP.

Thanks to all for answers.

I didn't try RAW, Nikon has NEF, yet. Does GIMP recognize them, please?

#7 2006-08-07 22:15:57

Jacek Poplawski
Website

For RAW you can use two tools:

1) gimp-ufraw (this is also standalone ufraw)
2) rawstudio (from AUR)

Works with my Olympus SP 500, but I am unable to open file from rawstudio menu (I need to give filename as command line argument).

#8 2006-08-10 18:42:24

bluePoet
Website

Jacek Poplawski wrote:

Works with my Olympus SP 500, but I am unable to open file from rawstudio menu (I need to give filename as command line argument).

You have to open the directory containing the raw files. Rawstudio reads the whole dir and displays all raw files in a row.

Board footer