You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-06 03:11:08

ninjai117

Pacman is broken

Hi, before I catch any flack on it, I have tried searching and I've looked at several threads but most of them seem to be at slightly different stages of my problem and I don't know enough about pacman to read between the lines and fix this myself.

I haven't updated my system in a few weeks so I went to do it a couple days ago and got this:

/usr/bin/pacman: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/bin/pacman)

From the sounds of it I might need to reinstall pacman with a live CD/USB flash drive.  If this is the case, I have no idea how to do that.  And if I did, why can't I just use something like wget to get the pacman packages and reinstall?

Maybe I don't need to reinstall?  I saw mention that I could download pacman from here to reinstall it, but again, don't know enough about it and version requirements.  I don't even know how to find my current broken version without the pacman command working.  How do I fix this?

#2 2018-06-06 03:19:56

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Pacman is broken

Sounds like a partial update problem. Boot a live CD and use pacman's --root or --sysroot option to fully update the system.

#3 2018-06-06 03:32:53

ninjai117

OK I can do that, but how does this happen in the first place?

#4 2018-06-06 03:35:16

ewaller
Administrator

ninjai117 wrote:

OK I can do that, but how does this happen in the first place?

Using pacman -Sy without 'u'

Edit:  Which is why one should post the commands used, not just the output.

Last edited by ewaller (2018-06-06 03:36:11)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2018-06-06 03:35:24

Scimmia
Fellow

It usually happens by running pacman -Sy or by holding back update. Sometimes by replacing repo packages with ones from the AUR.

#6 2018-06-06 11:13:58

eschwartz
Fellow

ninjai117 wrote:

Hi, before I catch any flack on it, I have tried searching and I've looked at several threads but most of them seem to be at slightly different stages of my problem and I don't know enough about pacman to read between the lines and fix this myself.

I haven't updated my system in a few weeks so I went to do it a couple days ago and got this:

/usr/bin/pacman: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/bin/pacman)

Specifically, in this case you updated pacman without updating glibc. glibc uses versioned symbols, so anything that used to work will continue to work, but compiling with newer versions of glibc will *not* work when installed on systems with older versions.

From the sounds of it I might need to reinstall pacman with a live CD/USB flash drive.  If this is the case, I have no idea how to do that.  And if I did, why can't I just use something like wget to get the pacman packages and reinstall?

Maybe I don't need to reinstall?  I saw mention that I could download pacman from here to reinstall it, but again, don't know enough about it and version requirements.  I don't even know how to find my current broken version without the pacman command working.  How do I fix this?

That is correct, either solution works. The pacman-static binary by definition has no version requirements. smile

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2018-06-11 22:27:32

ninjai117

Thanks all.  So I mounted my root to /mnt on the live CD and did this:
pacman -Syyu --root /mnt/

Everything updated once I figured out I had to also run some other command to import the current GPG keys for the repos.

After reboot, however, I've got issues mounting boot and one of my other disks.  Specifically, vfat (/bioot) and ntfs (I use ntfs-3g to mount my other disk) are unknown filesystems.

Based on some googling it sounds like that's because there was a kernel update that occurred and I didn't have /boot mounted.

What is the fix here?  Back to the live cd, mount my /boot and / partitions then run the updates again?

#8 2018-06-11 23:40:44

V1del
Forum Moderator

Yes, or more specifically just reinstall the linux package

Board footer