You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 08:31:05

slybzh

How to deal with duplicated file names in packages?

Hello everyone,

I have a small issue (and I'm quite amazed by the fact that it never happened to me before... )
I have two packages installed on my computer that used to work together without any issue, just ignoring each other... But after this morning update, they now possess two different scripts that share the same name ("wordcount") but have completely different purposes.

• texlive-latexextra (from [extra]

• emboss (from [aur])

Actually I already found a workaround to keep using both softwares at the same time, but it's completely ugly, and a nice and elegant solution probably exists. So far I just moved one of the file before the update, hence I have "wordcount_emboss" and "wordcount" big_smile

Is there any "good practice" about such a case? I didn't found any information on the forum, since all the case of duplicated filenames come from issues while installing different versions of the same package.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

#2 2018-06-18 09:20:44

Awebb

Re: How to deal with duplicated file names in packages?

If it's an ancient common package like texlive, file a bug report with the less ancient common project. Everything else will break things for you in the long run.

Edit: Wow, guess who broke it...

Last edited by Awebb (2018-06-18 09:22:29)

#3 2018-06-18 10:17:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: How to deal with duplicated file names in packages?

I'd say, all else being equal, the bug report should go to the AUR package that conflicts with a main repo package's file.  Though the result in this case is the same.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer