You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 23:25:37

Deliverance

Troubleshooting NVIDIA driver errors

For several months now, I've been trying to troubleshoot some system lockups that happen when playing video games. When the problem is manifesting itself, whatever game I'm playing will freeze up every 30 seconds or so for about 3-4 seconds at a time. It's been an incredibly frustrating experience because there doesn't seem to be any consistency for when it happens. The problem will sometimes disappear for days or even weeks, but other times make it impossible to play anything.

My only clue so far is NVRM errors in my syslog. Here's a sample of those errors. I've googled and found NVIDIA's fault code table, but it hasn't really led me anywhere. My take-away from that is basically "it's probably a driver error", which doesn't help for fixing the issue.

I'm using Wine (wine-staging 3.10) to play these games, all of which I've played on other systems with zero issues so I know it's not just a case of Wine being incompatible with these games.

I've tried a number of things so far. What's frustrating is that after I try something, the problem will often appear to be fixed. I'll celebrate and pat myself on the back...and then it'll start happening again after a day or two.

Major things I've tried so far:
- Both wine and wine-staging, with all different combinations of wine-staging options
- Switching to linux-lts and nvidia-lts
- Switching display managers and desktop environments (tried SDDM/KDE, GDM/GNOME, and now I'm back on LightDM/Xfce)
- Pinning the game process to one core
- Reseating the GPU
- Swapping GPU to a different PCI slot

System info:
4.14.49-1-lts kernel
nvidia-lts 1:396.24-3 driver
NVIDIA 1050 TI
Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
16GB RAM

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I don't know what else to try.

#2 2018-06-19 07:10:42

seth

Re: Troubleshooting NVIDIA driver errors

xid  13 is typically a bug in the client code, see https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/xid-errors/index.html
However this error does not constitute a 30 seconds interval.

Are you positive that it's the GPU (not the CPU, some IO or indeed maybe even the games)
- get wine out of the equation, try eg. xonotic, warsow or sauerbraten
- get the CPU and I/O out of the equation, try glxgears (unfortunately that also kills texture usage, you might go for one of the fancier xscreensaver hacks as testcase)
- get the compositor out of the equation: all suggested DEs use compositing WMs
- try

Option	"UseNvKmsCompositionPipeline" "false"

, see https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … =110#reply

Board footer