You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-19 02:14:43

Anonymous20210212
Banned

[Solved] No internet connection during Arch installation

Hi, This is my first time posting here.

First things first:
I used to run Arch on many systems including my old laptop. Now i don't remember if i used to run it in this specific mobo (PC) but i am sure i did because i haven't upgraded in a while.

My Specs:
Mobo: GA-990FX-Gaming
CPU: FX-8550
RAM: 32GB
HDD: 298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BEKT-60F3T1 (SATA )
OS: archlinux-2018.06.01-x86_64.iso and archlinux-2017.02.01-dual.iso
Tool for burning: Rufus (both in ISO and DD image mode)

My problem:
(Using latest ISO which is ARCH-201806)
As soon as i boot into Arch Linux, when i write "Ping google.com" it says:

'Temporary failure in name resolution'

(Using old ISO which is ARCH-201702)
As soon as i boot into Arch Linux, when i write "Ping google.com" it says:

'Name or service not known'

What i have tried:
I tried editing "/etc/resolv.conf" (which was empty) and add "nameserver 8.8.8.8" and "nameserver 8.8.4.4" to the file, but to no result. I also tried doing like "systemctl enable dhcpcd" and "systemctl start dhcpcd" and still nothing. I did the same with "enp4s0" which is apperently my LAN. So both 2018 and 2017 iso have this issue.

My assumption:
What i assume is that it has to do with my ethernet card? i mean the onboard network card in my motherboard. I am really not sure otherwise. My Ethernet is called "Killer E2200". I have googled and it seems that it was supported in kernal 3.10? but i am not sure.
If anyone knows how to fix this i would really really appreciate it. i have done everything i could by trying myself and googling but i really dont know what else to do. I am not that profesional in Arch (or linux in general).

This issue has been solved by doing the following:
I do not know how or why, i am not an expert. but after fiddling with things, this worked for me

Basically, in your bios disable IOMMU. (I had this enabled because i got errors of USB not working whenever i booted Arch installation).
Now, when you disable IOMMU, you might have the same issue as me as i just mentioned with the USBs. to make those work all you have to do is add a kernal parameter to the Arch bootup installation.

To do this, before you start Arch install, hit <TAB> key on your keyboard and add the following after *.img: iommu=soft.
Once you have done that, when you press enter (to boot up the installation) you will notice that you wont get any usb errors anymore and when you ping arch or google it will ping normally.

Thank you everyone who has been looking on this thread to try and help me out. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Anonymous20210212 (2018-06-19 03:51:52)

#2 2018-06-19 02:19:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved] No internet connection during Arch installation

Please edit your thread title and update it to reflect your actual issue (no-one here cares about Windows installs): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-06-19 02:22:41

Anonymous20210212
Banned

Re: [Solved] No internet connection during Arch installation

jasonwryan wrote:

Please edit your thread title and update it to reflect your actual issue (no-one here cares about Windows installs): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Oh that was a typo. I ment to write "Arch Linux installation" not windows. Fixed.

Board footer