You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-22 12:41:40

BelowZero

[Solved] Enabling exFAT support for external drives

I have a micro SD card that I'd like to use for backups.  I would like to make this accessible by Mac and Windows operating systems in case I need to pull files from it if/when necessary.  I have the drive formatted as an exFAT drive, but I see that Arch does not natively support exFAT drives. 

After some reading, it looks like I need to install exfat-utils and exfat-git from AUR.  However, recently my instance of yaourt stopped working, so I removed it.  I was planning to manually building these instead.

First, is this the correct way to enable exFAT support?  Is there anything else I need to do?

Second, I don't understand why manual building is the preferred way to install things from AUR now.  Can someone give me a quick explanation as to why things changed recently?  Thanks!

Last edited by BelowZero (2018-06-22 13:53:03)

#2 2018-06-22 12:53:38

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [Solved] Enabling exFAT support for external drives

You don't need anything from the AUR, the exfat fuse driver is in the exfat-utils package.

Nothing changed about the AUR recently. Using makepkg has always been the preferred, and only supported, way of building packages. If you skipped learning how the AUR actually works, that's on you.

#3 2018-06-22 13:52:44

BelowZero

Re: [Solved] Enabling exFAT support for external drives

Exfat-utils worked by it self.  Thanks.

Scimmia wrote:

If you skipped learning how the AUR actually works, that's on you.

I did not skip learning how it works, I have just preferred to use a helper to make things easier.  And although you probably didn't consciously intend it, comments like this turn people off from Arch and give this forum a reputation for being to harsh on people asking questions.  Your last sentence was not necessary nor helpful.

Last edited by BelowZero (2018-06-22 13:56:27)

Board footer