You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-24 16:00:10

Markus.N2

System nearly freezes under heavy HDD and/or USB3 I/O load

Hi,

I'm currently running a check on my mdraid, and at the same time a diff over two external USB3 HDD's. Now, the PC is almost unusable. It gets better when I stay in one application, so I can type this post. But task switches or coming back after a while of being unused and the screen being locked ist horrible. Even the mouse is unresponsive and takes over 3 minutes until it moves again. I also can't use VLC to watch a movie clip without massive stuttering and framedrops, even when I play it from a ramdisk (tmpfs). Starting a program also takes a very, very, very long time. Even when I try to switch to the console (Ctl-Alt-F2) I have to wait for minutes. And the desktop clock freezes for minutes every now and then.

Some background info about my PC:
Desktop environment: XFCE
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 x 2.7 - 3.2 GHz)
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (with AMD 990FX chipset)
32 GB of RAM
Graphics: Radeon RX 550
Swap is available, but currently idle
root and home partitions are on a SSD
the mdraid has 5 HDD's with one HDD redundancy, and is only used for data

So, the mdraid check should not affect starting a program that's stored on the SSD unless it opens files on the mdraid.
And as the mouse is connected to one of the USB2 ports, it also should be unaffected by the USB3 I/O traffic, at least on root hub level.

CPU laod (according to the CPU graph) is never over 50%.

I've notived this effect since I'm using mdraid and UBS3 HDD's and on different mainboards. It also occurs when I only do one of the tasks described above, but not as severe as now. I also have the impression that some kernel versions are doing better while others are doing worse in similar use cases.

Most important thing I'm looking for is some tips to tune my system in order to better handle heavy I/O load and still be usable at least almost normally. But of course, some explanations are also appreciated. I always like to understand a problem.

Regards,
Markus

Board footer