You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-30 21:16:28

grodrigues

[Solved] Homm3 + Era not working. Sort of.

Installed Heroes of Might and Magic 3 GOG complete edition and it works fine. Then installed on top of it the Era mod in its latest 2.7.5 incarnation and it did not work, meaning not even the opening screen appeared, it just exited. On the console, it spitted out:

000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.11 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0009:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Setting multithreaded command stream to 0x1.
0009:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x2b3f688 (nil)): stub
0009:err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x89c8558d

Googled the two specific errors, but nothing useful turned out. In the Heroes Community forum some linux user mentioned we had to make a copy operation. Did it, same error. Now here's the kicker. After all this, in trying to debug the beast, after opening several channels (the only specific one I can remember was +loaddll) always with the same result, tried:

export WINEDEBUG=+all
wine h3era.exe &> log.txt

And now the opening screen appears. Loaded the first WoG campaign and it works, albeit jerkily, slow and with graphical glitches in WoG-specific menus. After exiting and checking the log file, it is at an impressive 1.2 GiB -- that may explain some of the jerkiness. Going through it is of course a madman's task. Can anyone make any sense of this and help me out here, because I am out of my depth? Any tips on what to do to narrow down the problem?

Forgot to add. I managed to get HoMM3 + Era working with no problems a long time ago (more than a year), so this is a regression either in Era or in Wine. Or both.

Extra info needed just ask, but running with the native nvidia driver on a GeForce GT 630 and system patched to its most recent version, including wine-staging at 3.11-1.

Edit: fix typos. Forgot regression point.

Last edited by grodrigues (2018-07-02 16:13:56)

#2 2018-07-01 00:49:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Homm3 + Era not working. Sort of.

Try without CSMT, reads like there's a race happening and you simply bypass the issue by slowing down execution due to enabling all debug output.

#3 2018-07-01 17:18:24

grodrigues

V1del wrote:

Try without CSMT, reads like there's a race happening and you simply bypass the issue by slowing down execution due to enabling all debug output.

So uninstalled wine-statging and installed standard wine and made a clean prefix. Nothing worked. Once I made the copy operation advised in the Heroes Community forums, we are back at my first post: game only starts with export WINEDEBUG=+all, but is laggy, slow, etc. This time, in test playing, it generated a log file of 3.2 Gb.

Edit: one more point, this must indeed be a weird race condition, because if I redirect output to /dev/null no opening screen again.
Edit2: tried to eliminate wine as the source of the problem by installing wine-stable from the AUR. Compiling is failing because the lib32-libgphoto2 dependency cannot be met. Sigh.

Last edited by grodrigues (2018-07-01 22:57:08)

#4 2018-07-02 16:13:32

grodrigues

Ok, installed wine-3-0-1 from the archives and Era works just fine (once you make the copy operation), so this is a regression in latest Wine. Marking the issue as solved.

Board footer