You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-12 14:03:00

QuimaxW
Website

Switch between Gwenview and Gthumb with metadata

I'm struggling a bit here...I've been using gthumb for a long time and I'm generally pleased with it. It started acting up some in Cinnamon though and works fine in KDE. Now I'm in KDE and a side effect is to try Gwenview again.

Yes, I can just stay with gthumb.

However....I'd like to try gwenview, but I don't want to spend hours/days re-tagging pictures from the last 4 years. The tags and comments aren't stored in the exif data, but rather in files alongside in each folder. I'm wondering if there is a way to share that data between Gwenview and GThumb. Google hasn't been any help...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#2 2018-07-12 14:23:26

QuimaxW
Website

Re: Switch between Gwenview and Gthumb with metadata

Bit more research...
Gwenview stores tags and comments in extended file attributes:

Semantic Information (rating, tags, description) added are stored in extended file system attributes. To list them, run attr -l file.jpg.

Gthumb stores everything in a .comments/imagename.xml format.

Not sure if I can write a script that will copy data from one to the other or not. I'll have to figure out how to read the extended attributes first!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#3 2018-07-12 16:25:24

progandy

Re: Switch between Gwenview and Gthumb with metadata

You can do it in a shell with getfattr / setfattr. The attributes used should be these.

tags: "user.xdg.tags", comma separated list of tags ("tag one,tag two,tag3")
rating: "user.baloo.rating", integer as string
description: "user.xdg.comment", simple text

https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kfilemet … ource.html

Last edited by progandy (2018-07-12 16:26:08)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer