You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-14 20:10:54

aardwolf

Kolourpaint and dolphin forget settings and no menubar

Hi,

On my system, kolourpaint, dolphin (and some other KDE-related apps) are constantly forgetting their settings and removing their toolbar and menubar.

The following screenshot shows a totally useless kolourpaint, there is simply nothing, no tools, no menu, and a dolphin that has all sidepanels and menu hidden:

https://imgur.com/a/lIKcqPL

In dolphin, I can get menu etc back with right-click menus, but next time they're gone again. Kolourpaint is entirely useless until I delete its config file. And then later it'll get ruined like this again.

Any ideas what can be causing this and how I can make my KDE apps behave normally and properly save settings again?

I use cinnamon as desktop manager.

The ecosystem of KDE apps is an ever-growing more and more complex system that is a nightmare to configure (getting working qt5 window borders, date format settings, even a simple text editor like kwrite depending on VLC for sound notifications and taking a second to load a 'ding' sound, etc...) so it's not surprising it fails at even this basic task, but still, if anyone recognizes this, please help.

Thanks! smile

Last edited by aardwolf (2018-07-14 20:15:36)

#2 2018-07-14 20:28:08

aardwolf

Re: Kolourpaint and dolphin forget settings and no menubar

FYI:

So e.g. as for kolourpaint, somehow it chooses, on its own, to add this to the config file:
MenuBar=Disabled
StatusBar=Disabled

I don't do this, something else is doing it. Similar story with Dolphin. But it must something that is confusing them that causes them to do it, e.g. KDE apps spew a lot of things like this in the console when running:

qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 796, resource id: 0, major code: 19 (DeleteProperty), minor code: 0
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 8 (BadMatch), sequence: 1149, resource id: 119537714, major code: 130 (Unknown), minor code: 3

Any ideas?

EDIT: Update: making their config files read-only while in a good state fixes the problem for now, but not optimal

Last edited by aardwolf (2018-07-14 20:35:03)

#3 2018-07-15 06:36:28

richardv

Same symptoms here with kmail.

#4 2018-07-16 18:29:18

aardwolf

Cause found:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=395988

Hopefully they'll submit the patch soon

Board footer