You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-17 10:56:35

Enverex
Website

Xpra - XOrg Config / Logging Privilege Issues

I'm trying to get something running in Xpra but I'm failing at the first hurdle at the moment. Weirdly enough I can start programs from a remote machine through Xpra if I use the root user (which isn't helpful as I don't want to run things as root) but it fails if I try a non-privileged user with an error message that seems to report the opposite of what's really happening.

Trying to run something as a non-root user results in Xorg failing with the error (logged on the server):

(EE) 
Fatal server error:
(EE) 
Invalid argument for -logfile - "/run/user/1000/xpra/Xorg.S15100.log"
	With elevated privileges -logfile must specify a relative path
	without any ".." elements.

(EE) 
(EE) 
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
(EE) 
xpra initialization error:
 /usr/bin/Xorg: did not provide a display number using displayfd

Now the error says "With elevated privileges -logfile must specify a relative path" but I only get this when trying to run xpra as an UNprivileged user, running it as a privileged user (i.e. root) works fine.

The logfile and config path are the default that the Arch package specifies in the config and seem to match what the official documentation suggests, so it doesn't seem like those should need changing.

For reference, the example command I was trying to run was (which works fine if I replace my user with root instead):

xpra start ssh/(user)@(server) --desktop-scaling=0 --video-scaling=0 --daemon=0 --opengl=no --start=xterm

Does anyone know if Xpra actually works on current Arch and if so, how to work around / fix this issue?

Last edited by Enverex (2018-07-17 16:50:39)

#2 2018-07-17 16:18:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Xpra - XOrg Config / Logging Privilege Issues

Please edit your thread title to accurately describe your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-10-18 17:54:57

cryptix
Website

Re: Xpra - XOrg Config / Logging Privilege Issues

I also stumbled over this.

Got passed the

With elevated privileges -logfile must specify a relative path

error by tinkering in /etc/xpra/conf.d/55_server_x11.conf but I now get this and am stuck:

$ xpra start :5007 --systemd-run=no --start-via-proxy=no --daemon=no --start-child=firefox
2018-10-18 17:50:34,791 cannot use uinput for virtual devices:
2018-10-18 17:50:34,791  [Errno 19] Failed to open the uinput device: No such device
xpra initialization error:
failed to create the Xorg log directory '': [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''

I searched a bit further but only found this bug report: https://www.xpra.org/trac/ticket/1698
It looks similar but still different and the linked upstream to the xserver is also already fixed... :-/

Board footer