You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-24 14:11:35

Enrico1989

Getting Samsung M2070FW to work

The printer is connected through wifi (it is new, working, and I can use the mobile app to print/scan/copy from an Android smartphone), and I can ping it.

I'm following the wiki pages relative to CUPS and Avahi.

Specifically what I've done is the following
1) installed `cups` and `cups-pdf` and enabled and started `org.cups.cupsd.service`
2) installed `splix`
3) installed `avahi`
4) added `MulticastDNS=no` in the file `/etc/systemd/resolved.conf`
5) installed `nss-mdns`, started and enabled `avahi-daemon.service`, added `mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return]` in the `/etc/nsswitch.conf` file

When I launch "manage printing" from app launcher, I'm redirected to CUPS 2.2.8 web page (http://localhost:631/); there, specifically at the printer page, there are "No printers."; I've clicked on "add printer", but the browser asked for username and password, and I tried to enter it (erroneously assuming that wrong password would have result in the browser asking again).

When I launch "Avahi Zeroconf Browser" the window is almost completely empty, except for a No service currenty selected message.

`lpstat -p -d` returns

lpstat: No destinations added.
no system default destination

I could have lost track of some detail, but I don't think I've done much more than this, so far.

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-07-24 14:14:01)

#2 2018-07-24 14:46:41

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Getting Samsung M2070FW to work

Avahi is not very useful in home networks, and you already know the ip address of the printer.

When cups localhost:631 asks for username & password, use root as username and root password as password.
(if you prefer to manage cups gui as normal user, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU … _PolicyKit )

You have checked whether this printer needs the samsung unified driver pacakge, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sams … ed-driver/  ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-07-24 15:24:30

Enrico1989

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Avahi is not very useful in home networks, and you already know the ip address of the printer.

Yes, indeed I've manually assigned the IP address to the printer from the router config page, just like I did with any other PC or smartphone in my family. Are you saying that I can unistall Avahi?

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You have checked whether this printer needs the samsung unified driver pacakge, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sams … ed-driver/  ?

How should I check? Trial and error or a list?

Lone_Wolf wrote:

When cups localhost:631 asks for username & password, use root as username and root password as password.

Waiting for your answer I've rebooted the system and I could not reach the CUPS page, not sooner than having started the `org.cups.cupsd.service`, which seems strange to me, since I had started and enabled it already. Anyway, it seems root and root don't work. Then I tried root and the actual password of my root, which I changed at the time I installed Arch, and it works!

Now I'm realizing that the model is not listed at the add printer page.

EDIT
At the relevant page of the producer I can download the driver in the form of the file `uld_V1.00.39_01.17.tar.gz`, but I also read that The Unified Linux Driver is a unified driver package that includes all of the drivers for Samsung printers and scanners for Linux; at the AUR page I read samsung unified driver's version is 1.00.39-2, just like the tar.gz file that I can download from the producer's website, but I still don't know how to proceed with CUPS, where the printer is not listed.

EDIT 2
I've found the file `Samsung_M2070_Series.ppd` in the tar.gz archive, so I've used that in CUPS. Alas, when I try printing something, I get

Samsung_M2070_Series-1 	Unknown 	Withheld 	73k 	Unknown 	stopped 

lines at the job page of CUPS. By the way, when I added the printer, it was already under the Discovered Network Printers list, so the connection is working.

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-07-24 16:18:13)

#4 2018-07-24 16:35:54

loqs

You installed the ppd but without the rest of the AUR package you did not install rastertospl which would render the page to a format the printer can use.

#5 2018-07-24 17:06:26

Enrico1989

loqs wrote:

You installed the ppd but without the rest of the AUR package you did not install rastertospl which would render the page to a format the printer can use.

Right. Now the printer works. The scanner as well, except that I can't scan simply by pressing the relative button on the printer, since the display prints a message "not available".

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2018-07-24 17:07:11)

#6 2018-07-25 15:05:12

Enrico1989

Lone_Wolf wrote:

When I try to uninstall `avahi` i get the following errors

checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: geoclue2: removing avahi breaks dependency 'avahi'
:: gnustep-base: removing avahi breaks dependency 'avahi'
:: libcups: removing avahi breaks dependency 'avahi'
:: sane: removing avahi breaks dependency 'avahi'

but I have not installed `avahi` to satisfy dependencies.

#7 2018-07-25 22:05:40

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I didn't mean you should uninstall avahi , but what it finds (or misses..) can mostly be ignored on a home network.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-07-25 22:05:57)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#8 2018-07-26 05:50:20

Enrico1989

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I didn't mean you should uninstall avahi , but what it finds (or misses..) can mostly be ignored on a home network.

Are you saying that I can uninstall it ignoring dependencies?

#9 2018-07-26 20:53:00

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

There are pacman flags that allow removing something even if it's a hard dependency for other things.
This can be useful for troubleshooting and in some special cases, but is a bad idea in all other cases.

Board footer