You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-25 17:16:20

Yung Cutie

Discord Stuck on Starting Screen

Hello,

A couple of days ago, after an update, discord has been unable to get past the starting screen except for once. There are no errors in the terminal output, nor the discord console, and I am completely out of ideas.

The only time it managed to launch was after letting it sit there for an hour or so, after deleting everything in ".config/discord". I thought it would've been fixed after that.

Also the same for discord-canary, unfortunately.

I would love if someone could help me with this, because I can not find this issue anywhere, and I am at my wit's end.

Thank you!

#2 2018-07-25 17:44:48

ooo

Re: Discord Stuck on Starting Screen

Check your pacman log for what was updated and post here. Are you using latest discord from AUR?

#3 2018-07-25 18:04:36

Yung Cutie

ooo wrote:

Check your pacman log for what was updated and post here. Are you using latest discord from AUR?

Yes, I am using the latest version from the AUR.

Here's the log for that day.
https://pastebin.com/DRNYNGan

#4 2018-07-25 23:31:29

ooo

Seems like this is common issue after discord updates, so it's probably issue with discord itself, instead of resulting from some other updated package. The package even provides /opt/discord/postinst.sh from upstream, that deletes some caches from /home/*/.config/discord, and a socket file from /tmp. Apparently it is also automatically run at post_upgrade()...

Running the script, or removing discord config and cache seems to be the most common suggestions on the AUR page for similar issues. If that doesn't work, it might be better to also ask for support from the AUR page, or from official discord linux support channels.

#5 2018-07-26 02:03:19

Yung Cutie

Removing the discord cache does not fix the issue, as mentioned previously. Though clearing the cache seems to be the only way to get the discord client to start, albeit after letting it sit there for multiple hours until it reaches the first time startup screen.

Running the /opt/discord/postinst.sh script that was mentioned, also did not do anything to help the issue, unfortunately.

I don't know if I may have not been clear enough, but by starting screen, I meant the screen with the animated loading discord logo, the loading joke message thing, and the word "STARTING" below the message.

#6 2018-07-30 22:14:14

Yung Cutie

So turns out that Discord does eventually start after a few hours, but there are no input and output devices other than default, and which makes me think its linked to pulseaudio. Also there's no sound at all.

Recently pulseaudio has been causing some odd issues, and I for some reason cannot stop it from restarting as soon as it's killed. It wasn't like that before, and none of the solutions that I've found have worked.

How would I go about fixing this?

Last edited by Yung Cutie (2018-07-30 22:16:32)

#7 2018-07-31 08:07:19

V1del
Forum Moderator

You set the correct devices discord should be using in pulseaudio (pavucontrol and similar), one has afaik, never been able to properly set these in discord and it is very unlikely that this is in anyway related to the startup issue.

FWIW if you want to stop pulse for testing purposes, you will have to do so on its systemd instances, as it is being invoked by these now.

systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket #Unmask to restore autostart behaviour
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service

#8 2018-07-31 14:29:01

Yung Cutie

V1del wrote:

You set the correct devices discord should be using in pulseaudio (pavucontrol and similar), one has afaik, never been able to properly set these in discord and it is very unlikely that this is in anyway related to the startup issue.

FWIW if you want to stop pulse for testing purposes, you will have to do so on its systemd instances, as it is being invoked by these now.

systemctl --user

Followed by anything else gives me this error.

Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

#9 2018-07-31 14:41:07

V1del
Forum Moderator

I was nearly expecting this, because your original issue sounded like discord simply timed out like crazy on every network access. Something is much more amiss on your setup than just discord. So let's roll this up from the beginning then:  First off make sure you have a proper hostname (that isn't localhost): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … e_hostname

How are you starting X/your environment in general? What exactly are you starting? Post your .xinitrc if you use one of the methods utilizing that.

You might also want to add a complete

journalctl -b

Last edited by V1del (2018-07-31 14:41:32)

#10 2018-07-31 15:33:32

Yung Cutie

V1del wrote:

I was nearly expecting this, because your original issue sounded like discord simply timed out like crazy on every network access. Something is much more amiss on your setup than just discord. So let's roll this up from the beginning then:  First off make sure you have a proper hostname (that isn't localhost): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … e_hostname

How are you starting X/your environment in general? What exactly are you starting? Post your .xinitrc if you use one of the methods utilizing that.

You might also want to add a complete

journalctl -b

I have a hostname, and I use xinit.

Here's my .xinitrc:

xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
sxhkd &
wal -i /home/username/.wallpapers/rosequartz.png &
cache_xrandr &
compton &
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
xrdb ~/.Xresources &
notifyd &
bar_notifyd &
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
exec bspwm

Here's the journalctl -b

https://pastebin.com/ML1c2ehw

Last edited by Yung Cutie (2018-07-31 15:34:59)

#11 2018-07-31 19:44:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

You have to include the script sourcing from /etc/X11/xinitrc in your xinitrc to properly initialize your user session, note the second blue box in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc

#12 2018-08-01 00:21:43

Yung Cutie

V1del wrote:

You have to include the script sourcing from /etc/X11/xinitrc in your xinitrc to properly initialize your user session, note the second blue box in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc

I added this to the end of my .xinitrc, but nothing has changed.

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
 for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?*.sh ; do
  [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
 done
 unset f
fi

#13 2018-08-01 00:23:19

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Adding it to the end of the file will ensure it doesn't get read, as the wiki article makes clear...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#14 2018-08-01 18:25:23

Yung Cutie

jasonwryan wrote:

Adding it to the end of the file will ensure it doesn't get read, as the wiki article makes clear...

There's no difference, I moved that chunk of code to the beginning of the .xinitrc and it hasn't done anything...

#15 2018-08-01 18:30:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Post the output of: `loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID`

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#16 2018-08-01 18:51:56

Yung Cutie

jasonwryan wrote:

Post the output of: `loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID`

Id=c2
User=1000
Name=username
Timestamp=Wed 2018-08-01 14:24:09 EDT
TimestampMonotonic=927679330
VTNr=1
Seat=seat0
TTY=tty1
Remote=no
Service=login
Scope=session-c2.scope
Leader=2181
Audit=0
Type=tty
Class=user
Active=yes
State=active
IdleHint=no
IdleSinceHint=1533147849289940
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=927447339
LockedHint=no

#17 2018-08-04 18:33:26

Yung Cutie

Yung Cutie wrote:
V1del wrote:

systemctl --user

Followed by anything else gives me this error.

Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

Turns out I kept trying to use elevated privileges for those commands, and not realising.

They work fine, and now pulseaudio works like it used to, but discord still hasn't been affected by any of this, unfortunately.

#18 2019-05-19 15:59:03

sil_el_mot

I had also the problem, that discord didnt start or took very long time (like 30min or smw).
i than downloaded discord as zip file and started it, and it worked. starting with a desktop-file didnt work anymore.
so i added the path to the desktop-file and voilà it starts.
this also worked with the discord from aur. i just changed the desktop-file a bit, adding "Path=/opt/discord" and now it works and starts fine as before

Board footer