You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-31 12:31:08

CoudUr

[Solved] Newsboat and Archlinux Feed

Hi guys,

I would like to know how to make the Arch Linux News readable in newsboat which is my RSS client.
I looked into this page https://www.archlinux.org/feeds/ where most of all ArchLinux's feeds are listed, among them only those related to Arch Linux Bugtracker are readable in newsboat, the rest are usable but with a browser and may be a dedicated graphical tool also.
I found a thread in the forum where it is explained how to customize the feed url to our needs but I assumed that's only work for the forum's feeds.
So I wonder how you guys do to make it work in terminal application such as newsboat ?

Thanks.

Last edited by CoudUr (2018-09-13 12:58:43)

#2 2018-09-13 12:54:29

CoudUr

Re: [Solved] Newsboat and Archlinux Feed

Well it turns out I was just making a mistake in the URL used in the settings ...
Now there is no error message when I reload the feed it works as it should that's good but still there is something annoying, I can't get the past news but only the next coming ones.
Am I missing a particular option in newsboat's configuration ? Let me know guys if you have any good tip about this, it could help thanks.

Anyway I found out that the AUR helper called "yay" can do it well with colored messages by using the command "yay -P --quiet --news --news"
I also found a software from AUR too called "informant" that can do this task but according to me yay does it better by bringing date alongside the news which is a good thing plus few other options.

IMO this feature should be provide by something coming from an official repository not AUR.
And why not a feature for pacman itself it could be very convenient, checking important news before updating the system it makes sense to me, something like emerge does in Gentoo (if I remember well).

Last edited by CoudUr (2018-09-13 12:57:27)

Board footer