You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-01 03:24:16

eduardo_amarall

[SOLVED] Problems with pip and pacman conficts

I went to update my packages and found conflicting packages that I naively installed using

sudo pip

. I went and unninstalled all packages listed by pip using pip. When I realized pip dependencies were all broken and non functional. I went and reinstalled all of them. I know I unninstalled some of my python scripts dependencies but I'm afraid I messed up with some important package while unnistalling with pip.
Is there a way to check it?

PS: I remember seeing pip unnistalling something about lightdm greeter settings, but I checked it and it seemed all fine...

Edit: I solved by doing:

pacman -Sk

And re-installing the packages related to pip it listed.

Last edited by eduardo_amarall (2018-08-06 19:33:08)

#2 2018-08-01 03:32:43

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with pip and pacman conficts

Try: pacman -Qkk $(pacman -Qsq python)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-08-01 04:26:05

eschwartz
Fellow

There's no need to pass a list of packages to pacman -Qkk, since both `pacman -Qkk` and `pacman -Qq` (and `pacman -Qqs` even) will default to simply operating on all packages when used without arguments.

Also use [community]/lostfiles to detect untracked files installed by pip, which should not have been installed to /usr and should now be uninstalled.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2018-08-02 23:54:44

eduardo_amarall

ewaller wrote:

Try: pacman -Qkk $(pacman -Qsq python)

Thank you very much, I've checked all packages instead of just the pythin related ones.

Preferred using only

pacman -Qk

because there were some packages with modified files that were ok (ex: php (php.ini) )

After reistalling all packages listed it seems all fine, and yep most of them were python related, so thanks a lot for the quick and precise response!

#5 2018-08-02 23:57:36

eduardo_amarall

Eschwartz wrote:

There's no need to pass a list of packages to pacman -Qkk, since both `pacman -Qkk` and `pacman -Qq` (and `pacman -Qqs` even) will default to simply operating on all packages when used without arguments.

Also use [community]/lostfiles to detect untracked files installed by pip, which should not have been installed to /usr and should now be uninstalled.

I solved the problem with

pacman -Qk

, but what do you mean by using [community]/lostfiles to remove untracked files by pip, how do I do that?
Thanks in advance.

#6 2018-08-06 12:47:23

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

eduardo_amarall wrote:

I went to update my packages and found conflicting packages that I naively installed using

sudo pip

For the future:  Never run pip as root or you will be eaten by a grue. If you want something system wide then use pacman/makepkg, otherwise use venv.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#7 2018-08-06 13:30:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

eduardo_amarall wrote:

what do you mean by using [community]/lostfiles to remove untracked files by pip, how do I do that?

I've never even heard of this tool, but the first steps are pretty obvious.  You install it, then read any man page or help output it provides.  I suspect using it would be as simple as running the binary it installs - pacman can tell you it's name, but I'd be surprised if the binary wasn't also named `lostfiles`.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2018-08-06 19:29:09

eduardo_amarall

Mr.Elendig wrote:
eduardo_amarall wrote:

sudo pip

For the future:  Never run pip as root or you will be eaten by a grue. If you want something system wide then use pacman/makepkg, otherwise use venv.

Thanks! Never doing it again Lol

#9 2018-08-06 19:30:57

eduardo_amarall

Trilby wrote:
eduardo_amarall wrote:

what do you mean by using [community]/lostfiles to remove untracked files by pip, how do I do that?

I've never even heard of this tool, but the first steps are pretty obvious.  You install it, then read any man page or help output it provides.  I suspect using it would be as simple as running the binary it installs - pacman can tell you it's name, but I'd be surprised if the binary wasn't also named `lostfiles`.

Oh I'm a newbie so I didn't know that was a structure to a package. I've installed it, and it indeed is called lostfiles, found some pip unused files and removed! Thanks!

Board footer