You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-05 21:50:47

Dentrax

Linux Login Screen Stuck [System Brick] (Ask for login-name forever)

Hey,

I do not understand how it is, I can not login to the system anymore.

When i type "root" or "dentrax" (my username) at the "arch login", waits ~10 seconds and does not ask for a password. It is continuing to ask for login name again forever even when i type "root".

The system boots normally (grub still works fine) and the welcome screen is still running when booting.

I accidentally "git init" into the home directory and removed that folder. I do not remember what I did later but I certainly did not "rm -rf /". It actually does this by vscode. When I opened the vscode, there was exactly 5k+ of file-stage waiting. ZSH was broken when I pressed the discard-all button on vscode's github plugin, but everything else was working smoothly. I was able to read and write the files on /home. All programs were opened except for zsh. This problem occur when I re-booted the system.

-Unable to login console

Can someone please help me? How do I log in to the system?

Arch Linux x64 - 4.17.11-arch1 (tty1)

#2 2018-08-05 22:08:07

loqs

Re: Linux Login Screen Stuck [System Brick] (Ask for login-name forever)

Change_root in from the installation media and check the journal for the cause of the login failures.

#3 2018-08-05 22:20:44

Dentrax

loqs wrote:

Change_root in from the installation media and check the journal for the cause of the login failures.

Hey,

I don't bit-quite understand, What exactly is "installation media"? Do you mean "ArchLinux Bootable USB"? I also tried a few things on Grub...

I added init=/bin/bash

I got this:

PD7rZ7.jpg
https://i.hizliresim.com/PD7rZ7.jpg

Finally, Is there another way out there, just curious? Why am I experiencing-getting this issue-problem? What is causing this problem?

#4 2018-08-05 22:25:54

loqs

Dentrax wrote:
loqs wrote:

Hey,

I don't bit-quite understand, What exactly is "installation media"? Do you mean "ArchLinux Bootable USB"?

Yes,  you can post text from the console using the tip from List_of_applications#Pastebin_clients

#5 2018-08-05 22:29:45

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yes, installation media is a bootable usb.  As for your image, I'm only getting an access denied from that website.

As for finding the cause of the problem, that is the goal of a troubleshooting thread.  Once we know the cause, we'll have a solution.  But you need to help us find the cause.

I have a hard time understanding your initial post as there are a lot of vague pronouns.  For example, you say "It actually does this by vscode" but I have no idea what 'it' or 'this' are referring to.  Please describe the background/history clearly keeping in mind we are not sitting at your computer.  Then boot with the bootable usb and chroot in to your system to collect logs.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-08-08 09:36:30

Dentrax

Trilby wrote:

Yes, installation media is a bootable usb.  As for your image, I'm only getting an access denied from that website.

As for finding the cause of the problem, that is the goal of a troubleshooting thread.  Once we know the cause, we'll have a solution.  But you need to help us find the cause.

I have a hard time understanding your initial post as there are a lot of vague pronouns.  For example, you say "It actually does this by vscode" but I have no idea what 'it' or 'this' are referring to.  Please describe the background/history clearly keeping in mind we are not sitting at your computer.  Then boot with the bootable usb and chroot in to your system to collect logs.

Today I tried to login rootfs using init=/bin/bash on booting. After that, i tried "export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin" then, "mount -n -o remount,rw /" later i type, "passwd" and i have still same error: "passwd not found"

After that I did live-usb using Rufus with archlinux-2018.04.01-x86_64.iso (4.15.14) After that, i can't figure out what i should do after login with "root@archiso".

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/re … t_password

This is exactly what I don't understand: "Boot the LiveCD and mount the root partition of your main system." and "Use the passwd --root MOUNT_POINT USER_NAME"

What does "mount the root partition of your main system" mean? How can i mount my main system with commands?
What sould i type for "MOUNT_POINT"?

#7 2018-08-08 10:35:16

V1del
Forum Moderator

The section you link to contains a link on how to mount, if confused by following steps you should follow that link.

However I find it hard to believe that you've managed to install Arch while being confused by these instructions. Which instructions did you originally follow to install Arch?

Last edited by V1del (2018-08-08 10:36:06)

#8 2018-08-08 11:22:37

Dentrax

Finally, i successfully mount my /sdc3 to /mnt. I can see my main / files at /mnt.

My root passwd uses /bin/zsh, but there is no zsh at /bin? But the system needs to have a "zsh" file. How can i change login shell to bash? (chsh not works)

And when i type "passwd --root /mnt dentrax"
Output:
passwd: Module is unknown
passwd: password unchanged

How can i fix these problems? @V1del

Last edited by Dentrax (2018-08-08 11:26:45)

#9 2018-08-08 12:24:36

loqs

V1del wrote:

Which instructions did you originally follow to install Arch?

#10 2018-08-08 12:49:04

sincomil

Dentrax, you can simply edit your /etc/passwd file - it is a plain text file just find out line according your user name and edit the field
EDIT: after mounting your root directory to /mnt edit /mnt/etc/passwd

Last edited by sincomil (2018-08-08 12:50:11)

#11 2018-08-09 08:41:36

Dentrax

Here is what i have done:

1- I booted the LiveUSB and mount the root partition of my main system. (mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt)
2- I've checked every .log file on the /var/log path. (I couldn't find any log to interfere with the entry.)
3- "UTMP, WTMP and BTMP" files are creating when I am trying to log in to the system. (The contents of the UTMP and WTMP files are empty)
    When i run "utmpdump /var/log/wtmp" It's just logging about my login attempts. (Doesn't contains information about errors.)
4- I have changed my "/mnt/etc/passwd" input shell with "/bin/bash" instead of "/bin/zsh" for accounts "root" and "dentrax" (also tried /bin/sh) (Also changed my default shell to bash with chsh)
5- I have changed my "root" and "dentrax" password to "1"
6- Also i checked my .bashrc, .bash_profile and .profile files. There's no any problem preventing login input. All in default configuration.
7- Also I tried to remove the password from /etc/shadow file.

Finally, the problem still goes on. When I boot the system and enter the login username, system waits ~10 seconds and nothing happens and asks for the login username again. (forever loop) The login password prompt question NEVER comes up.

(Note: Sorry for top message, I wrote the wrong question in the top message. (: )

Last edited by Dentrax (2018-08-09 08:42:32)

#12 2018-08-09 08:43:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

loqs wrote:
V1del wrote:

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#13 2018-08-09 09:18:09

Dentrax

jasonwryan wrote:
loqs wrote:
V1del wrote:

Here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

I would like to ask you, how do I solve this problem? Because I have work to develop on the system. I would also remind, that question is on the "Newbie Corner". Can we focus on the question, please?

#14 2018-08-09 10:10:31

loqs

loqs wrote:

Systemd#Journal  please post the output from the journal for a boot with the issue.
List_of_applications#Pastebin_clients tip box provides instructions to post the output to a pastebin from the console.
Edit:
Also post the output of pacman -Qkk.

Last edited by loqs (2018-08-09 10:11:18)

#15 2018-08-10 05:44:39

Dentrax

loqs wrote:
loqs wrote:

Systemd#Journal  please post the output from the journal for a boot with the issue.
List_of_applications#Pastebin_clients tip box provides instructions to post the output to a pastebin from the console.
Edit:
Also post the output of pacman -Qkk.

journalctl output: https://ptpb.pw/H_UD
pacman -Qkk output: https://ptpb.pw/t1Pr

I think my issue is: "can't exec /bin/login: No such file or directory". When i type: "stat /mnt/usr/bin" i get the output that file is there.

#16 2018-08-10 05:45:52

Scimmia
Fellow

is the /bin symlink there, pointing to usr/bin?

#17 2018-08-10 22:34:47

Dentrax

Scimmia wrote:

is the /bin symlink there, pointing to usr/bin?

Thank you so much! Login issue is completely fixed now. smile

Fix:
(do this after the mount main-system)
Type on /mnt : "ln -s usr/bin bin"

Board footer