You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-06 18:16:53

ephemeralCuriosities

Async change in Python 3.7, breaks gPodder

After updating the system to Python 3.7, gPodder throws this error:

/usr/bin/gpodder:43: DeprecationWarning: Importing dbus.glib to use the GLib main loop with dbus-python is deprecated.
Instead, use this sequence:

from dbus.mainloop.glib import DBusGMainLoop

DBusGMainLoop(set_as_default=True)

import dbus.glib
1533578180.023094 [gpodder.log] ERROR: Uncaught exception: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 158, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 151, in main
    from gpodder.gtkui import main
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gpodder/gtkui/main.py", line 74, in <module>
    from gpodder.gtkui.services import CoverDownloader
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gpodder/gtkui/services.py", line 104
    def __get_cover(self, channel, url, async=False, avoid_downloading=False):
                                            ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 158, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 151, in main                                                                                                                        
    from gpodder.gtkui import main                                                                                                                                  
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gpodder/gtkui/main.py", line 74, in <module>
    from gpodder.gtkui.services import CoverDownloader                                                                                                              
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gpodder/gtkui/services.py", line 104                                                                                       
    def __get_cover(self, channel, url, async=False, avoid_downloading=False):
                                            ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Downgrading gPodder throws the exact same error, so I figured it was a Python 3.7 thing. Tested it out with a Discord bot I'd made for a group chat and it threw out the same error. Gonna edit it later as part of a check to see if it's a syntax change with asyncio, but just in case it's not I'm posting it here since, well, it still breaks gPodder.

EDIT: It's a change, yeah. Looks like it might've been fixed by the gPodder devs on a merge back in June, but it hasn't reached a stable release yet. So the package can probably be considered broken for now.

Last edited by ephemeralCuriosities (2018-08-06 18:29:51)

#2 2018-08-06 19:01:12

ooo

Re: Async change in Python 3.7, breaks gPodder

ephemeralCuriosities wrote:

It's a change, yeah. Looks like it might've been fixed by the gPodder devs on a merge back in June, but it hasn't reached a stable release yet. So the package can probably be considered broken for now.

You should file a bug report for the arch package with that information.

Even if there wasn't an existing upstream fix, you should report all broken packages, so they can be either fixed, or removed from repos.

#3 2018-08-06 19:22:53

eschwartz
Fellow

I was going to complain about how packages don't actually make use of testsuites in order to verify things work as expected. Then I tried running the testsuite for gpodder and it reported success even though there are files which throw fatal errors the instant python tries to read them. tongue

So much for useful testsuites...

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2018-08-06 19:25:52

ephemeralCuriosities

ooo wrote:

You should file a bug report for the arch package with that information.

Even if there wasn't an existing upstream fix, you should report all broken packages, so they can be either fixed, or removed from repos.

Just needed to post here first to make sure it's an easily-fixable thing. Better to look dumb in public than to file a useless bug report.

#5 2018-08-06 21:58:11

ooo

You're definitely not looking dumb by figuring out the cause and finding an upstream fix for the issue.

You could still double check that the upstream fix works, and make sure there are no other issues with python 3.7, by rebuilding the gpodder package yourself with the fix included. Or test if the gpodder-git from AUR works without issues, if you're not comfortable with patching in PKGBUILDs.

#6 2018-08-06 22:12:20

ephemeralCuriosities

Checked gpodder-git from the AUR and it does indeed work (though you have to edit the PKGBUILD to change the folder name from 3.6 to 3.7).

Gonna go make a note of that in the AUR page. I don't really feel comfortable using AUR -git packages, though, so hopefully this is the only Python 3 software in my system that has this little issue.

Last edited by ephemeralCuriosities (2018-08-06 22:16:32)

#7 2018-08-08 18:38:38

dunek

Eschwartz wrote:

I was going to complain about how packages don't actually make use of testsuites in order to verify things work as expected. Then I tried running the testsuite for gpodder and it reported success even though there are files which throw fatal errors the instant python tries to read them. tongue

So much for useful testsuites...

Has python3.7 spent no time in [testing]? Why are there so many errors related to it in this forum?

#8 2018-08-08 21:34:15

ewaller
Administrator

dunek wrote:

Has python3.7 spent no time in [testing]? Why are there so many errors related to it in this forum?

Gee Gosh, we're sorry.  The alternative is to listen to people bitch about it taking so long.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2018-08-08 21:36:50

eschwartz
Fellow

Of course it spent time in testing, and we found issues, and we fixed them.

Maybe if more people used [testing] then we would have found this issue too, but I guess the people who actually contribute to Arch don't happen to use this.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer