You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-13 18:08:29

JustSomeGeek

[SOLVED] Programs not visible?

Hi folks,

New Arch user.

Just another n00b issue I expect, sorry!

I'm running Enlightenment. I've installed Firefox (and checked dependencies & requirements on Mozilla). Also Chromium, and Virt Manager.

I can start them all, and they are running, according to Htop, but not visible. Anywhere I can check if they've opened on another screen somewhere, or otherwise find out what the problem is? I get no error.

Thanks!

Last edited by JustSomeGeek (2018-08-14 18:32:51)

#2 2018-08-13 18:10:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Programs not visible?

Please post your full pacman.log

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-08-13 23:03:33

JustSomeGeek

#4 2018-08-13 23:15:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Kill all the running firefox processes, and start firefox from a terminal: it should provide more verbose output.

#5 2018-08-14 00:25:33

JustSomeGeek

jasonwryan wrote:

Kill all the running firefox processes, and start firefox from a terminal: it should provide more verbose output.

I tried that too. And after a reboot. It doesn't give any feedback at all. I'm guessing it's an X/GUI config issue, as HTop works, as does anything else that just uses the console/terminal?

#6 2018-08-14 08:11:47

x33a
Forum Fellow

Is it just those 3 programs that you mentioned or no GUI application (except for a terminal emulator) works? All of these 3 use GTK3, so maybe try some QT program as well.

Also, give this a try:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/en … leshooting

#7 2018-08-14 11:16:40

JustSomeGeek

x33a wrote:

Is it just those 3 programs that you mentioned or no GUI application (except for a terminal emulator) works? All of these 3 use GTK3, so maybe try some QT program as well.

Also, give this a try:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/en … leshooting

It's a fresh install, so i've only installed a couple of things so far.

There are a few Qt programs included with E. *None* of which work. - I've re-installed qt5-base

The E tests for GL and opening windows are fine.

I've re-installed GTK3

I run Arch using the onboard GPU. The GTX1080 is purely for VM's, and is now using the VFIO driver. But Nouveau is probably still installed. Could this be relevant?

#8 2018-08-14 11:44:34

drcouzelis
Website

I'm still a little confused...

How are you starting these applications from a terminal if no GUI applications will start? (A terminal window is a GUI application.)

Yes, a strange video card configuration could be an issue. But if you can start X and you can start Enlightenment then other GUI applications should be able to start too.

I think the next thing to try is a different window manager. Please install the "openbox" package and the "xterm" package, and try starting X with Openbox. (For example, with "exec openbox-session" in your "~/.xinitrc" file.) You can start Xterm by right clicking on the Openbox desktop area and looking in the menus.

Are you able to successfully start Firefox (or Chromium or even Xterm) from Openbox?

#9 2018-08-14 12:06:26

JustSomeGeek

drcouzelis wrote:

I'm still a little confused...

How are you starting these applications from a terminal if no GUI applications will start? (A terminal window is a GUI application.)

Yes, a strange video card configuration could be an issue. But if you can start X and you can start Enlightenment then other GUI applications should be able to start too.

I think the next thing to try is a different window manager. Please install the "openbox" package and the "xterm" package, and try starting X with Openbox. (For example, with "exec openbox-session" in your "~/.xinitrc" file.) You can start Xterm by right clicking on the Openbox desktop area and looking in the menus.

Are you able to successfully start Firefox (or Chromium or even Xterm) from Openbox?

Enlightenment itself seems fine. I start stuff from with that. Either point & click, or terminal. Just tried Libre Office and TuxCart. Both appear to open the "frame" of a window briefly, which then disappears, but the processes are still running (HTop).

Awesome! Everything seems to work fine using Openbox. So, is it an E. issue I need to sort, or one of the underlying techs it relies on?

#10 2018-08-14 12:19:02

drcouzelis
Website

Oh! The issue is resolved when using Openbox? Great! smile

Yeah, I don't know what the underlying issue is (could be Enlightenment, could be a compositor issue...), but in my very very brief experience of trying out Enlightenment in Arch Linux many years ago, I got the impression that Enlightenment is rather finicky... tongue

Good luck!

#11 2018-08-14 15:34:19

JustSomeGeek

drcouzelis wrote:

Oh! The issue is resolved when using Openbox? Great! smile

Yeah, I don't know what the underlying issue is (could be Enlightenment, could be a compositor issue...), but in my very very brief experience of trying out Enlightenment in Arch Linux many years ago, I got the impression that Enlightenment is rather finicky... tongue

Good luck!

Yup. I just removed OpenBox, and tried the bare X on it's own. Also works, so at least I know my system seems to work ok, and the problem lies with E.

Thanks for the pointing in the right direction! :-)

#12 2018-08-14 17:34:06

JustSomeGeek

Fixed now anyway! I didn't think I needed to use .xinitrc if I started a DM manually, as X would just use the defaults. Seeing as E. worked fine, I assumed X was working. So, I generated .xinitrc with "exec enlightenment_start" in it, and used "startx" after login. All seems fine. Seems I need to read up more on how X works!

Thought it would be something noobish! lol

#13 2018-08-14 17:35:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

#14 2018-08-14 17:35:58

JustSomeGeek

btw. How do I set this as "Solved"?

#15 2018-08-14 17:48:06

ewaller
Administrator

Edit the first post in the thread.  There will be an option to edit the title.  Prepend [SOLVED]

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#16 2018-08-14 18:33:35

JustSomeGeek

Thanks again folks! :-)

Board footer