You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-15 15:21:37

vinya

[SOLVED] Kernel panic, unable to reboot

Hey there!

During the day my system froze while browsing the internet. My caps lock key is blinking and I seemingly can’t interact with the system. I surmised that it might be a kernel panic, but I haven’t had this happen previously. I have tried rebooting the system using alt+SysRq+REISUB, but this either does not work, or I am pressing the wrong buttons. I run Arch on a Dell XPS 13 (late 2017 model) with a Swedish keyboard layout. I have tried PrtScr and fn+PrtScr as SysRq (there is no labeled SysRq button) but neither seems to be working. Should I use some other combination or simply wait for the battery to die?

Thankful for any and all help!

Last edited by vinya (2018-08-15 21:22:18)

#2 2018-08-15 15:28:56

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel panic, unable to reboot

vinya wrote:

My caps lock key is blinking and I seemingly can’t interact with the system. I surmised that it might be a kernel panic,

Yes.

I have tried rebooting the system using alt+SysRq+REISUB, but this either does not work, or I am pressing the wrong buttons

That won't work after a panic.  Regardless, it has to be enabled if you do ever want to use it -- for example if the machine becomes unresponsive without having panicked
See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … uts#Kernel for how to enable this.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-08-15 15:48:44

vinya

Okay, thanks! So is there anything one can do to reboot? Or is the system preset to reboot after a while?

#4 2018-08-15 15:58:32

ewaller
Administrator

The default condition is to hang until a reset happens.  This may mean doing a forced power off.

This behavior can be overridden too smile
https://www.cloudibee.com/automatic-reb … nel-panic/

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2018-08-15 21:18:07

vinya

Got home and tried a forced shutdown, worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for the help! smile

Board footer