You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-15 21:26:55

bug2k12

Launching a desktop environment remotely?

I'm after some advice on the best method of remotely (via ssh) launching a desktop environment that I can then connect to via vnc.

I've used x11vnc on desktops which works fine and allows me to connect in to running sessions and use them just like I am sitting in front of them. But of course these are desktops I've already logged in to locally.

It seems it is not so easy to get X and something like Openbox running from an ssh connection as it seems X only wants to be run from the console.

I know that you can use X forwarding via ssh to use remote applications on a local machine, this is not what I need. I want to have a persistant desktop session that I can leave running and connect/disconnect as required leaving the gui applications running when not connected.

I would have thought this was a common need, but apparently not.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 2018-08-15 21:56:58

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Launching a desktop environment remotely?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2018-08-15 23:32:35

Annoyingduck

I've used x11 VNC, Tiger VNC, and Vino VNC with x11 VNC in my opinion being the better of the 3.  They all work great on a local connection, but if you need to connect over the internet you have to use an ssh tunnel to keep it secure (I learned the hard way by having the port forwarded and having constant attempts of breach on the open port). I found that setting it all up (for me) was a bit involved and results/performance varied between the 3. In the end I ended up going with Teamviewer because it's very easy to set up, logging in is a breeze, the gui makes it much more user friendly for users like me that don't deal with complicated network set ups.  Any new machine I add is as simple as installing Teamviewer, enabling the systemd service, and logging in under my master account - local, over the internet doesn't matter, it's the same login/process.  The downside is that it uses a bit more resources than a VNC server, so on less powerful computers you'll see some lag, but anything i3+ you won't notice any. And it's closed source if your nervous about that kind of thing.  Other than that, it's great and works perfect.

#4 2018-08-16 10:03:15

bug2k12

Thanks, that's exactly what I need. All up and running perfectly now, thanks.   my google fu needs work!

Annoyingduck wrote:

I've used x11 VNC, Tiger VNC, and Vino VNC with x11 VNC in my opinion being the better of the 3.  They all work great on a local connection, but if you need to connect over the internet you have to use an ssh tunnel to keep it secure (I learned the hard way by having the port forwarded and having constant attempts of breach on the open port). I found that setting it all up (for me) was a bit involved and results/performance varied between the 3. In the end I ended up going with Teamviewer because it's very easy to set up, logging in is a breeze, the gui makes it much more user friendly for users like me that don't deal with complicated network set ups.  Any new machine I add is as simple as installing Teamviewer, enabling the systemd service, and logging in under my master account - local, over the internet doesn't matter, it's the same login/process.  The downside is that it uses a bit more resources than a VNC server, so on less powerful computers you'll see some lag, but anything i3+ you won't notice any. And it's closed source if your nervous about that kind of thing.  Other than that, it's great and works perfect.

Thanks, I still use x11vnc on the desktop systems and it works fine for me, I don't use them remotely for day to day work. I connect in via vpn and ssh or vnc in over that, saves having to expose unnecessary ports to the world.

Board footer