You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-10 14:28:43

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Am I getting old... went back to KDE!! -- KDEmod!!

Last two years I kept away from KDE, from that bloat and slow "monster". smile After re-installing Arch in my machine (with AL Office Install CD), now running KDE for one week there is no desire in setting up my favorite FVWM nor Fluxbox. Feel a bit "sick" when thinking about the manual configurations, menu updates, and , and, and.... why waste time or am I getting old!!

KDE is is a bit "heavy" at loading but it's applications are fast, good, nice looking, and easily configured. Had some problem with Thunderbird, "forced" to use KMail, now I want to keep it. Konqueror (browser) seems better than Firefox i.e. fast, clear colors and nice fonts. No longer wanto to use gtk/gnome apps or am I getting old!!!

What I really like with KDE, can fully concentrate on my day-to-day work without needed to keep a small portion of mind in "knowing how to configure" or "want to add this and that" or "tweak here and there". Also a fresh install becomes soooo easyyyy!!!! ..... install base packages, KDE and Open Office. Additional like mysql, apache, php and few other are a different story. I am starting to like a CONFIGURELESS system or am I geeting old!!! lol

No, am not getting old but want to be a newbie!!! :idea:

Those who want to join the "Newbie Club", install arch office CD:
http://user-contributions.org/wikis/use … Install_CD

Markku

#2 2006-08-10 14:47:33

vacant

Re: Am I getting old... went back to KDE!! -- KDEmod!!

I've been using KDE for years but over the past week I've set up an Arch partition with oroboROX window manager and ROX filer which I'm testing for installation at Cybercafé next term. It has the drag & drop configuration I was looking for.

I've got pinboard (desktop) icons set up for 21 games which run full screen. I have window apps firefox, openoffice, gimp, xmms, mplayer on the panel (with taskbar, clock, pager and logout). I've got the nuvola icon set installed and use that for GTK widgets too with a Yattacier3 theme. It boots in under 30 seconds straight into the gui as "guest" user". So looking good so far. The 0launch zero install seem to work fine.

At home I'll probably stick with KDE as I love amarok, digikam, gwenview.

#3 2006-08-10 14:50:12

brazzmonkey

i agree with you though i never extensively tried an alternate DE or WM. but i personnaly don't find KDE to be slow (though my comp is getting old), and many very good software is available for it.
even if i try other WM, i'll stick with KDE apps (konqueror for file , FTP and web browsing, kmail, etc...), so imho there's not point for me.
software like Koffice and krita and amarok and [put good stuff with a "K" in its name) is amazing and always improving as far as quality is concerned.
on the other hand, i've always found mozilla stuff is pure sh*t and slow.
about configuring, i usually feel like lazily clicking some stuff to change configuration rather than trying to remember which file to edit and how.

still, i'm sure many things can be made much easier (even in KDE), because i think need to do root stuff far too often, and some file tuning is still needed (mostly because of the way X works : explorer mouse extra buttons configuration, numlocks stuff, plug'n play stuff, etc.). you know, the kind of stupid topics that many users keep asking all the time on support forums. it's not about being n00b or whatever, it's just that many aspects of linux are still user-unfriendly, and users need to waste time searching for a way to meet their (simple) expectations.

not everybody is an übergeek...

what goes up must come down

#4 2006-08-10 15:16:28

test1000

the crap i hate about kde is that when a root operation has to be done then it doesn't pop up a dialog asking me to input my root password or try to run sudo on it even before that.. Noooo, it simply prompts me saying i don't have root access and then proceeds to quit! What rudeness, that's like not being asked "do you want to join us?" when in gymclass or whatever, lol big_smile

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#5 2006-08-10 15:18:22

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Rasat, I have gravitated to a gnome desktop for similar reasons. I use gnome+openbox..which while it takes a tiny bit of configuration to get how I want it, the configuration is very minimal. Drop in a few config files that I have saved somewhere..and I am up and running.

I have been more focused on 'getting things done' lately, and less on fiddling with configuration. I don't think this is a return to newbie-ism. I consider it maturing. I am no longer fascinated with 'ricing' my computer, squeezing every ounce of performance out of it, making lights blink and flash, amazing others with the complexity of my daily setup, etc.

I want to get things done, so I can move on to getting other things done.  wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2006-08-10 15:46:21

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

cactus wrote:

I want to get things done, so I can move on to getting other things done.  wink

Yes, exactly my thoughts!!

I agree with vacant. WMs are good for public places for particular tasks and also restricting the users to click all around. Example, some time ago I installed Fluxbox for one shop with a menu related to the shop activities only. Works fine and does what's suppose to do.

Markku

#7 2006-08-10 16:53:20

soloport

test1000 wrote:

the crap i hate about kde is that when a root operation has to be done then it doesn't pop up a dialog asking me to input my root password or try to run sudo on it even before that.. Noooo, it simply prompts me saying i don't have root access and then proceeds to quit! What rudeness, that's like not being asked "do you want to join us?" when in gymclass or whatever, lol big_smile

Be honest.  How many versions behind are we talking about, here?  Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about.  roll

#8 2006-08-10 18:08:24

test1000

were talking about just yesterday! I'm talking about konqueror and browsing to a dir i'm not allowed to be in. when i mean "just quit" i'm talking about the popup only ofc, i don't mean that it's crashing, but it's still annoying.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#9 2006-08-10 18:16:05

soloport

test1000 wrote:

were talking about just yesterday! I'm talking about konqueror and browsing to a dir i'm not allowed to be in. when i mean "just quit" i'm talking about the popup only ofc, i don't mean that it's crashing, but it's still annoying.

So, you've never tried fish://root@localhost/root/ from within Konqueror?!

#10 2006-08-10 19:55:39

test1000

weheeeey big_smile, i didn't know about that. It's still kind of crappy that kde doesn't ask me right out at once but still... nifty.

What's this.. fish?

#11 2006-08-10 20:16:07

afu

I just moved to KDE for the first time ever too. Yep, I have other things to worry about rather than remembering every command there is. Can't fully get away from it though, servers are no-X installed.

#12 2006-08-10 20:25:42

soloport

test1000 wrote:

What's this.. fish?

It's a file IO protocol (FIles over sSH), similar to sftp.  It's been in KDE since 2.0  -- one of the dozens of supported IO slaves.

(My all-time fav. being: smb:///<share>/)

#13 2006-08-11 02:15:01

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

brazzmonkey wrote:

i'll stick with KDE apps (konqueror for file , FTP and web browsing, kmail, etc...)

What do you use for FTP? I am using Kbear.

soloport,  fish://root@localhost/root/ that's interesting.

Markku

#14 2006-08-11 02:31:16

scarney

yes kde is heavy. but its so much faster under Arch.. faster than any other distro i have used with kde. i do wish they would lighten it up, remove all the real useless crap. and leave an option open for those who actually want that junk. i have tried xfce, i like it but it is lacking in too many ways for my needs. openbox, fluxbox and the like, are just too much work to be anything other than toys imho. i am really hoping the folks at kde wake up and slim it down in future release's. because it really is a great DE.

#15 2006-08-11 04:01:53

Anonymo
Website

I like KDE alot because it is easy to use, but I can't stand the menu configuration and the installed applications.  If KDE was really KDE base, It would only have the KDE background, plus Kontrol panel and the taskbar or something lite like that.  But then it comes with all these other little programs that no one really uses, but are there in the menus.  Also the menus have a submenu called more applications,  I hate that crap.  Like others said, kde should be completely modular like X.org 7.x.  We install what we need.  But besides all this, I am pretty happy with KDE.

#16 2006-08-11 07:36:49

brazzmonkey

rasat wrote:
brazzmonkey wrote:

i'll stick with KDE apps (konqueror for file , FTP and web browsing, kmail, etc...)

What do you use for FTP? I am using Kbear.

soloport,  fish://root@localhost/root/ that's interesting.

konqueror ! and sometimes, krusader.

what goes up must come down

#17 2006-08-11 09:01:28

mpie

bsc is a noce qt app for ftp

#18 2006-08-11 12:54:26

scarecrow

Kbear is just horrible- one of the most buggy apps ever.
But some new qt based clients ( kftpgrabber, kasablanca ) perform better (although they aren't exactly stable or well maintained), and until Filezilla 3 (native Linux client) is more mature you can use Filezilla 2 via wine, which works brilliantly, and does all types of filetransfers ( regular FTP, FTP over TLS, ssl explicit, ssl implicit, sftp... only thing missing is fxp).
And yeah, some dualpane filemanagers like bsc or krusader are quite OK for FTP'ing.

Microshaft delenda est

#19 2006-08-11 16:50:07

palandir

There's no such thing as a "newbie" desktop environment. If KDE suits you best, then use it. The same is true for all the other window managers or desktop environments.

I always preferred Gnome + Openbox over KDE, and I still like it, but I am using wmii at the moment, because I use the console for almost everything, I like the tiling aspect, and I'm a vim user.
There really is no reason to use KDE when you don't use 95% of its applications and instead only have 1 urxvt open with screen and work 80% of your time in it.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people like me and some real Unix gurus that use KDE instead.

So really... it doesn't matter. Find out which features you want and use the WM/Desktop that has the most of them.

#20 2006-08-11 17:03:36

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

*claps for palandir*
hear hear.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#21 2006-08-11 19:00:42

Stinky

I went back to KDE here at work a couple of weeks ago for the same reasons.  To get more done.

#22 2006-08-12 03:50:50

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

palandir wrote:

So really... it doesn't matter. Find out which features you want and use the WM/Desktop that has the most of them.

Here we are speaking about a newbie with no experience in Linux using for the first time. Whatever WM/DE is given to him/her will be accepted. But questions asked and choices of features will be according to Windows (or Mac). Thats's natural. With KDE's similarity keep them content in exploring the possibilities. With Fluxbox, first question asked is how to edit the menu. The editing is not the problem but what's the command line of a particular program. Nor do they know how to run from a terminal, may not know what's  terminal. wink

I gave the ALOI-CD to five persons with no experience in Linux. Since one week no question asked about KDE. The questions were Linux in general. I gave this link.
http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/

Markku

#23 2006-08-12 18:44:59

palandir

I thought this thread is about you... and after at least 2 years of using Linux (quote: 'Last two years I kept away from KDE, from that bloat and slow "monster".') you call yourself a newbie? wink

I also don't like messing with configuration so much anymore (I did when I started with Linux), and I'm doing it quite rarely nowadays. I'm using all the "hard to configure" stuff like vim, mutt etc., but the good thing about it is, once you have your favorite configuration done one time, you just keep it, and almost never have to fiddle with it again. The last time I had a major edit on my .bashrc for example was 2 years ago or so.

And I think that KDE takes quite a long time to configure the way I want it. In Gnome, there is much less to configure (some consider this as a disadvantage), but it has much better default settings IMHO. KDE's default settings are a joke for me. And Gnome seems to be faster on older systems. Oh, and the deskbar is great...

I wouldn't say in general that "you get things done faster in KDE". It depends on your way of using your system. As an example, in the past, I tried using graphical file managers again, and I tried many of them, including Konqueror, Nautilus, Thunar, Rox, Gentoo etc., but guess what, I'm still at least 3 times as fast using the console.
Others might be much slower that way. It depends. It's quite arrogant to say that using one thing or the other makes people more productive.

#24 2006-08-12 20:13:51

deficite

I go back and forth through GNOME, KDE, and XFCE. Or at least I used to quite a bit. GNOME would have a really nice release but then they'd have a release that was less than stellar and I'd go to KDE which by then would have a good release, and so on and so forth. KDE and GNOME have grown so far apart recently that I can pretty much say I'll never use GNOME ever again willfully and I'd use KDE happily if it's required for me to do such. XFCE has really sort of kept to itself for a while and is coming back now, I believe. It may never compete with GNOME and KDE for popularity, but I've been won over by it. I can do everything in XFCE as I can in KDE and I can do it with less effort. Your choice in DE is pretty personal.

#25 2006-08-12 20:49:47

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

palandir wrote:

I thought this thread is about you... and after at least 2 years of using Linux (quote: 'Last two years I kept away from KDE, from that bloat and slow "monster".') you call yourself a newbie? wink.

I have used Linux for nine years. Either I became old or a newbie as an excuse to avoid configurations. smile

Markku

Board footer