You are not logged in.

#26 2006-08-13 02:04:37

Bysshe

Re: Am I getting old... went back to KDE!! -- KDEmod!!

I started using KDE almost exclusively when I noticed that Konquerer is the sole Linux application capable of connecting to my digital camera without having to worry about a bunch of voodoo.  Konquerer is the voodoo. 

Got voodoo?

#27 2006-08-13 04:05:36

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

palandir wrote:

And I think that KDE takes quite a long time to configure the way I want it.

As per the conclusion of this thread said by cactus (not wanting configurations is not because of "old-ism" or "newbie-ism" i.e. no longer fascinated with 'ricing' the computer or squeezing every ounce of performance out of it, but wanting to get things done), do we still feel KDE takes longer time to configure the "way I want it" or "getting the work done"? This question applies to other WM/DE as well.

There is usually a difference what we personally like and what's required for a work. Nice to have "cool" things but if end of day the actual work is not yet started, so what's the usage. wink

Markku

#28 2006-08-13 23:21:06

user

yes you are, you burnt out..

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#29 2006-08-14 04:15:05

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

user wrote:

yes you are, you burnt out.

lol

Markku

#30 2006-08-15 01:05:47

straydog

After much distro/DE/WM testing (hopping), I've settled on Arch/KDE. I KNOW I'm getting old, but I just don't get a kick out of reinventing the wheel all the time. Once I've figured it out, I don't want to do it again (even if I forgot how). That's why I made notes of my second Arch load. The only thing I'd like to figure out is how to get something like Dillo as it is in Puppy (frames) for some of my browsing. It smokes! If I plan to peruse a certain forum that is so bloated with ads (flash?), it's painful unless I boot up Puppy.

Enough rambling. What was the thread again?

Bill

P.S. Bysshe - digiKam is awesome, but in all fairness, I've never tried Konqueror for my camera.

#31 2006-08-15 18:43:30

sweiss

rasat, you're not getting old.
KDE can also provide a lot of your geekish desires.

I really disliked KDE before 3.4. But ever since, I just keep discovering new and sometimes very useful features.

As for the boot time, I always turn on my computer and then go making coffee and similar arrangements. I never understood why so many people care so much about boot time.

Human being are multi-threaded after all.

#32 2006-08-15 18:59:50

soloport

sweiss wrote:

rasat, you're not getting old.

That reminds me: None of our kids (x6) will touch another WM.  Maybe KDE is also for the young, if not the young-at-heart!  big_smile

#33 2006-08-17 03:46:50

palandir

I just stumbled across this link again:
http://www.terra.es/personal/diegocg/kde/

It shows some of the neat features (possibly unknown by many) of KDE, that also benefit power users.

#34 2006-08-17 04:00:37

soloport

Great find!  Thanks for sharing.

#35 2006-08-21 03:18:54

viniosity
Website

First of all, I'm so glad that we can have a decent conversation without this turning into a flame war...

I also struggled with going back to fluxbox after losing my config somehow.  At the time I was primarily using gnome and while I liked it there was a small voice telling me to reconfigure fluxbox.

I ended up installing kde 3.5 because I wanted beagle support in email and really disliked evolution.  Since that time it's been fantastic.  I think one of the best thing about kde is the integration.  It was really tough to put up with the different print dialogs and other stuff that occurred when you roll your own desktop out of various open source components.  (xpdf for pdf's feh for jpgs, etc etc).  KDE just brought it all together for me.  Can't wait to see 4.0!

#36 2006-08-21 15:44:08

detto

@palandir: thx for the link, but there were some things that made me think whats needed (packages?) to get all this features :?
for example the thins like copying a same named music file over another, in thse screenshot there is this plugin or s.th., might be comin from juk or baboodle or how its called that ships from kdemultimedia... or? i dunno, or ar all those features included in only kdebase?....mh, cant imagine really, but well, enlighten me plz big_smile

cheers,
detto

#37 2006-10-06 13:10:17

japetto

After much distro/DE/WM testing (hopping), I've settled on Arch/KDE.

Sounds like my story; 6 years of *nixing and finally a rest...

#38 2006-10-07 08:03:47

smarcher
Website

What a coincidence, found this thread 5 mins after installing the latest KDE. Like OP I too was using Gnome for a long time. I installed beryl (another distro) but somehow it never jelled with the total look and feel of Gnome. The panel bars had and the apps in focus had a different colour to the Emerald theme I was using and I could just not get it to jell and I do not want to spend a week figuring how to do this. Will try KDE with Beryl and see how it goes.

KDE on the other hand feels totally integrated in the look and feel. For me the look and feel is as important as general accessibility/usability. I used XFCE for shadowhand's repo but felt it was somehow lacking and copying gnome too much.

And on a different note, Arch rocks totally. Using Arch plus KDE on a Pentium III with 256MB RAM (Sony Vaio) laptop. To be honest not much difference in speed between XFCE and KDE.

#39 2006-10-07 23:17:20

Tatey
Website

I've always considered KDE terribly bloated, especially because of all the applications that are bundled with it. In addition, I've always thought that KDE looked terrible, up until 3.4 when they introduced that new theme. Consequently, I've always beena GNOME user. However, I recently setup a HTPC with MythTV and KDE and I'm REALLY impressed with how KDE has progressed. It has been a good few years since I last used KDE extensively and it's VERY quick. Relative to Nautilus, Konqueror is lightning. You can even preload instances which decreases it's start-up time. This is all very well if you have a fast-enough computer and enough RAM. Furthermore, one of the biggest aspects I've always admired about KDE is it's integration. KDE always feels like one complete DE, everything integrates and behaves nicely. That said, I'm still a GNOME user, but I am SERIOUSLY considering switching to KDE. The problem is that I use so many GTK apps that it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Check out my website, http://tatey.com

#40 2006-10-09 01:06:49

skottish
Forum Fellow

KDE is a great desktop environment. Back when KDE was at 3.3.x, it was slow and ugly. Now it's become so fast, easy to configure, and with the right themes and window decorations, good to look at.

I agree that there is way too much bloat, and I also see why the Arch devs don't want to take the time to modularize it. KDE knows this and with 4.0, it should all be much more lean. One thing of note here: KDE loves 64 bit with DDR2 RAM. It just blazes.

I was planning for a long time to switch to E17 when it was more stable, but I don't see the point any more. KDE is quickly becoming exactly what I need. And trying to replace Konqueror as a file manager... I have many doubts that there is such a thing.

And Tatey, GTK apps run perfectly in KDE. Don't let that stop you.

#41 2006-10-09 08:26:09

benplaut

Last edited by benplaut (2021-06-25 12:43:12)

#42 2006-10-09 09:19:55

arox1

I think KDE Light could be interesting. It uses Openbox as a WM and modified fbpanel instead of Kicker

#43 2006-10-10 12:43:18

chrismortimore

I started with Gnome 1.4.  It was ugly, so went to KDE 2.something.  It was also ugly, but less so wink  KDE 3.1 and 3.2 were nice looking, but very slow, so I left them and went for WindowMaker.  It was a nice change, but the lack of taskbar annoyed me, so then I went for Blackbox (for about 5 minutes) and then to Fluxbox, which I stuck with for ages.  Then I added Rox to Fluxbox, and stuck with that for even longer.  Then tried XFCE4, I liked it because it was friendlier than Fluxbox (I don't always have time to page through masses of submenus to find an option...).  Then, went back to KDE when they released 3.4, and been using it ever since.  I still try out the latest releases of Fluxbox, Rox and XFCE4 to see if they can persuade me back, but I'm liking how KDE just integrates nicely and works smile

And I forgot who said it, but I also switch my computers on and do something else (generally go to the toilet though, as I'll be just home).

Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

#44 2007-11-07 17:53:06

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

rasat wrote:

Last two years I kept away from KDE, from that bloat and slow "monster". smile After re-installing Arch in my machine (with AL Office Install CD), now running KDE for one week there is no desire in setting up my favorite FVWM nor Fluxbox. Feel a bit "sick" when thinking about the manual configurations, menu updates, and , and, and.... why waste time or am I getting old!!

One year ago when I started this thread, KDE has been great. I took a look at the new KDE4 by running Debian's KDE4 Beta4 live CD. Its like being in a kindergarten dancing around a X'mas tree. Either its only a theme of Debian with the emphasis on applets and strange K Menu, or thats the new KDE. If new, I may have to install Fluxbox again. smile

KDE4 beta4 live CD
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4livecd.html

The impression I got few months ago, KDE4 is supposed to be good.

Markku

#45 2007-11-08 00:41:32

skottish
Forum Fellow

rasat wrote:

One year ago when I started this thread, KDE has been great. I took a look at the new KDE4 by running Debian's KDE4 Beta4 live CD. Its like being in a kindergarten dancing around a X'mas tree.

It's funny, I've always felt that KDE seemed ugly and bloated out of the box (KDEmod is an obvious exception). Happily it only takes minutes to streamline it down to something beautiful and functional. My bet is KDE 4 will be more customizable the anything previously released. And if not, E17 should be done in 3 to 14 years, and then I'll switch to that.

#46 2007-11-08 00:49:35

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

skottish wrote:

And if not, E17 should be done in 3 to 14 years, and then I'll switch to that.

http://marc.info/?l=enlightenment-devel … 331033&w=2

Maybe not that long.
smile

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#47 2007-11-08 02:08:23

skottish
Forum Fellow

cactus wrote:

Maybe not that long

Holy freakin' cow Batman! That made me jiggle, quiver, and giggle all at the same time!!!

#48 2007-11-08 06:51:30

jinn

I switched to kdemod about 3-4 months ago.. And the reason was as rasat and others.. didnt want to put time to configurating stuff everytime.. But every now and then I get the urge to try something new.. like XMonad. Never tried a tiling window manager before.

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#49 2008-04-14 09:02:28

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

One and half year ago when I started this thread, thought getting old. Now I am extremely old. I installed kdemod. smile Kdemod is not only great but beautiful. Few of my friends using Windows, looked at my screen and now using Arch Linux.

Markku

#50 2008-04-15 16:58:23

SilverBear
Website

Hi, rasat.

I'm new to Arch -- I just installed it about a week ago, and when I had time over the weekend, I installed KDE [regular Arch version].  I've read good things about KDEmod, but wanted to see how well KDE got set up all on it's own.  I may try KDEmod, but things are going OK for me this way.  So far I am really enjoying getting Arch set up!

I looked up your Arch Linux Office Install CD page. It looks like a nice project. It could be very valuable for some people who are fairly new to Linux and who are hesitant to try Arch out of fear of getting in over their heads.

I see the 2006 version uses the "Kernel 2.6.18.3".  Do you have any plans to do an updated version of the CD with the  2.6.24 kernel?

thanks,
SilverBear

Board footer