You are not logged in.

#51 2008-04-15 18:54:32

XChrisX

Re: Am I getting old... went back to KDE!! -- KDEmod!!

I was thinking a similar thing about myself the other day. My first linux was
Debian 2.1. I also tried Red Hat and Mandrake. But the distro that awed me
and had me hooked was Slackware. I used Slackware from 7.1. Until I tried
Arch last year.

My main reason to switch was Pacman. The more I use Arch,
the more I love it. On Slackware I started with Gnome and ended with Fluxbox.
On Arch I started with Fluxbox and am now on Xfce (e17 at times). And KDE is
looking good to me. I am somewhat shying away from doing configs as much too.

At the rate of my fall right now, within 2 years I will be running friggin Ubuntu
with defualt settings sad

Last edited by XChrisX (2008-04-15 19:04:26)

#52 2008-04-15 22:40:26

Bestiapeluda

I found a sort of compromise between lightweight and getting things done. XFCE4.
The only thing is that a lot of gtk packages in archlinux are compiled with gnome support, and
i dont want all the gnome libs. So i often have to build packages myself, like for
avant window manager and exaile. Even if you install xfce4-goodies it will pull the
whole Gnome DE.

GTK is not only for GNOME !!

(Sorry i think i hijacked the thread a bit, but i had to let it out)

#53 2008-04-15 22:57:32

ozar

I started out with KDE/Gnome but then went through a couple of years playing around with most of the different window mangers (FVWM was my favorite) and have now gravitated back to the full blown DEs, too.  I run KDE mostly, but find myself more attracted to Gnome with each new release.  Xfce4 is nice, but to me it always feels a bit incomplete and not as polished as KDE, and Gnome.  KDE also feels about as fast as Xfce and faster than Gnome does on my current box.

So, I guess we all get old, unless we die young.

oz

#54 2008-04-16 19:11:20

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

SilverBear wrote:

I looked up your Arch Linux Office Install CD page.
I see the 2006 version uses the "Kernel 2.6.18.3".  Do you have any plans to do an updated version of the CD with the  2.6.24 kernel?

In those days I worked in Kenya and Mauritius, also stayed often in Singapore where I had lot of spare time for Linux developments. Since last year June in Romania, taking care of one orphanage boy home, doesn't give much spare time. This is the last school year for all the boys (8). In June when they finish the schools and move to Bucharest to live independently in few apartments, I may have time to work on the install CD. But I am also noticing, the official Arch install CD does now a days a good job. A pre-made install CD may not be needed but certainly there are other helpful tools to be developed.

ozar wrote:

.... went through a couple of years playing around with most of the different window mangers (FVWM was my favorite)...

Mine too and few others in this forum. FVWM is an interesting window manger and has scope for many things, though, time consuming. I tried to develope an easy install FVWM but didn't interest the FVWM community. They want themes not tools.
http://user-contributions.org/wikis/use … rchWD-FVWM

Markku

Board footer