You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-27 01:53:39

alfmel

CUPS: Bad file descriptor

I installed CUPS on a laptop, configured the printer and printed a test page without any problems. However, none of the applications see the printer. Trying to see the printer in the KDE's printer config applet simply reports "bad file descriptor". Running lpstat also returns "bad file descriptor." The socket appears to exist in /var/run/cups/cups.sock and port 631 is working. I've also created /etc/cups/client.conf for good measure, but still nothing.

Any ideas?

#2 2018-08-30 08:09:11

pypi
Wiki Maintainer

Re: CUPS: Bad file descriptor

/etc/cups/client.conf should not be required; I'd delete that to start with. Perhaps also reboot to ensure that no stray temporary files are hanging around. Do you have a ~/.cups directory? If so, deleting that would be a reasonable start, or you could try creating a new user to test with. I believe that CUPS also respects the CUPS_SERVER environmental variable, perhaps check that that is also unset. Is the CUPS server actually running? Are you using socket activation? - perhaps toggling that might lend some light to the matter.

Failing all of the above, maybe it would be worthwhile to see what socket lpstat is actually trying to open, with (say) strace.

Board footer