You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-30 22:30:42

Annoyingduck

How To Quickly Toggle Password Login On/Off And With LightDM

On my Arch XFCE laptop setup I use LightDM as my display manager. I edit the lightdm.conf to bypass the lightdm login screen and boot right into XFCE without a password. This setup is ideal for me 75% of the time when I'm home, but every now and then I bring my laptop to work and have to manually edit my Lightdm.conf in order to add a password login again.  On other distros there is usually a GUI way to do this in their prepackaged setups (basically a GUI to choose whether or not to require a password to login or boot straight to desktop without a password).  How can I go about doing this easily on Arch either via GUI or something else that is equally simple? The laptop also has Cinnamon installed alongside XFCE if that helps.

#2 2018-08-30 23:45:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: How To Quickly Toggle Password Login On/Off And With LightDM

How about an alias to a sed command that modifies lightdm.conf?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-08-31 00:24:04

Annoyingduck

Trilby wrote:

How about an alias to a sed command that modifies lightdm.conf?

I've never done anything like that. Could you list an example that I can maybe start playing around with? I'm guessing this would be a command that I would link to a script?

#4 2018-08-31 00:26:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No, it'd just be a sed command.  I could help write it if you actually described what needs to change in the file.

alias lockme='sed -i "..." /path/to/lightdm.conf'

Last edited by Trilby (2018-08-31 00:26:56)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-08-31 00:32:13

Annoyingduck

Trilby wrote:

No, it'd just be a sed command.  I could help write it if you actually described what needs to change in the file.

alias lockme='sed -i "..." /path/to/lightdm.conf'

That would be great if you could help with that. Unfortunately at the moment I'm heading out to drink many, many craft beers so I wouldn't be able to post the details until tomorrow, but once I'm able to see again I'll post everything here.

#6 2018-08-31 00:36:23

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

sed is definitely a good way to do this, but if you don't want to write a sed command you could just save copies of lightdm.conf edited both ways (lightdm-autologin, lightdm-manual), and copy the appropriate version to lightdm.conf when you want to change.

#7 2018-08-31 00:48:57

Annoyingduck

2ManyDogs wrote:

sed is definitely a good way to do this, but if you don't want to write a sed command you could just save copies of lightdm.conf edited both ways (lightdm-autologin, lightdm-manual), and copy the appropriate version to lightdm.conf when you want to change.

Hmm...That just made me think I only have a 3rd grade education due to not figuring that out myself. Pure genius.

I take it there is no GUI way then? Your thought will most definitely be an easy way to do it.

#8 2018-08-31 01:54:51

Annoyingduck

@Trilby, though I'll likely use the dual lightdm.conf method, I would like to learn about sed commands and how they are used. I've actually never heard about sed at all. I'll post my areas that I alter in my lightdm.conf file tomorrow.

#9 2018-08-31 02:09:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Board footer