You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-31 18:07:49

Luis Q. R.

Two problems with kernel 2.6.1

I compiled the kernel for ALSA emu10k1 support. When I open an application like xmms, it doesn't complain or anything, looks like it works, but there's no sound. Do I have to do some other configuration, maybe something in devfsd.conf?

The other one is that I can open Bash in kde while I'm working as root, but when I try to run it as user, I get this error message: "Unable to open a suitable terminal device". Did I forgot something?

#2 2004-01-31 18:27:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Two problems with kernel 2.6.1

Luis Q. R. wrote:

I compiled the kernel for ALSA emu10k1 support. When I open an application like xmms, it doesn't complain or anything, looks like it works, but there's no sound. Do I have to do some other configuration, maybe something in devfsd.conf?

did you make sure the mixers aren't muted?  It should throw an error if it was devfsd permissions, I think.

The other one is that I can open Bash in kde while I'm working as root, but when I try to run it as user, I get this error message: "Unable to open a suitable terminal device". Did I forgot something?

I had that too, and recompiled several times with various options before giving up and going back to 2.4... I guessed that the problem is with devfs being obsolete in 2.6... But there must be a solution, since xterm works and konsole works as root. Sounds like a permission problem, probably in devfsd.conf.

Dusty

#3 2004-01-31 19:14:17

sarah31
Website

you forgot to add :

none                   /dev/pts  devpts    defaults               0      0 

to your fstab.

it has nothing to do with devfs (which is far more stable than udev i might add) and everything to do with not searching the forum or reading the necessary kernel docs for changes.

(NOTE: this should be in the Kernel section of this forum not Workstation user)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-01-31 21:34:34

Luis Q. R.

Hey, I search the forums and docs before asking, I just did not find the answers.

For the sound thing, the mixers are at 100%, both master and pcm, and reading the documentation in the kernel didn't give me any useful information, it was all about making devs, which are already done, and editing modules.conf, but I didn't compile the emu10k1 as a module.

#5 2004-02-01 13:41:50

dp
Website

do you run xmms with alsa-config?

oss-config? do you load snd-pcm-oss at boottime? (rc.conf @ MODULES)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer