You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-06 13:38:32

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

[solved] gnome-unstable group missing from pacakge search…

Hi,

I just browsed the package search for the the latest gnome 3.30 release, which seems to be already in gnome-unstable.
Hence I wanted to search the repository gnome-unstable to see, which packages are already included.
But it is not listed in the "Repository" filter, while e.g. "KDE-Unstable" is.
Is there any particular reason, why gnome-unstable is not listed? May it be added?

Last edited by schard (2018-09-07 10:10:07)

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#2 2018-09-06 14:10:22

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: [solved] gnome-unstable group missing from pacakge search…

Because KDE-Unstable is considered to be a testing repository, where new versions of KDE software are packaged and users are encouraged to install from that repository -- like any other testing repository, the assumption is the packages work, and it is a good opportunity to play with the KDE betas.

In KDE-Unstable, you will only find betas or RC candidates.

Gnome-Unstable, in contrast, is considered to be a somewhere between a staging repository and a testing repository -- packages in there are often just built from the latest git master, and more often than not they are an opportunity for the packager to experiment with *how* to build the latest version.

You could run Gnome-Unstable if you want, but there's no strict guarantee it will work. It often does, and those packages get moved straight to testing, but, not always.

The Gnome-Unstable maintainer specifically asked that the repository not be shown by default on the web index, in order to avoid people who don't know what they're doing, stumbling across the repo and deciding to enable it.

If you have a link to a package in the repository, you can still view the packages. smile

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2018-09-07 10:09:34

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

Thank you for the explanation.

Eschwartz wrote:

The Gnome-Unstable maintainer specifically asked that the repository not be shown by default on the web index, in order to avoid people who don't know what they're doing, stumbling across the repo and deciding to enable it.

I don't understand this. Personally I find the name <whatever>-Unstable unambiguous.

Eschwartz wrote:

If you have a link to a package in the repository, you can still view the packages. smile

I have a link to a package, but I cannot list all packages from the group in question on the web interface.
Ah, you mean the actual mirror server. This, of course is also an option: https://mirrors.niyawe.de/archlinux/gno … os/x86_64/

Last edited by schard (2018-09-07 10:20:07)

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#4 2018-09-09 08:53:21

eschwartz
Fellow

No, I mean you can still view the package but not the whole group.

Your third option is to acquire login credentials for https://www.archlinux.org/login/ since the developer portal lets you see staging repositories anyway.

Note: this is not me being funny, we actually do hand out limited accounts to people who ask. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Testing_Team -- it's intended for people who help sign off on packages in the testing repositories, so I don't know whether "I just want to see the staging repositories in my package searches" would be met with a chuckle or a free account...

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer