You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-07 00:43:18

Salkay

[SOLVED] KDE different mouse settings

I have two Arch systems, but the System Settings mouse controls look different in each.

On my home computer, I get the following pane.
GUvqCjst.png

However, on my work computer, I get this "dumbed down" version.
cRzWcyzt.png

The latter has fewer settings, and there is no clear way to disable mouse acceleration. The "Acceleration" slider is tied to mouse velocity, and with it at the lowest position (with profile "flat"), it applies negative acceleration! That is, if I move the mouse rapidly, the cursor travels less distance.

I compared packages installed in both systems with pacman -Qe, but there was nothing obviously different. The only package that looked anything close to promising was xorg-xinput, which was only installed on the home computer. After uninstalling that, however, I was still presented with the advanced settings.

Is there a way to get the top, "advanced" mouse settings on my work computer?

(Originally posted at the KDE forums with no useful response.)

Last edited by Salkay (2018-09-11 23:57:47)

#2 2018-09-07 03:24:58

twelveeighty

Re: [SOLVED] KDE different mouse settings

To narrow down if this is related to any local configuration settings, try creating a new user on both systems and compare the system settings with the newly created default settings. Are they still different?

#3 2018-09-07 08:07:45

V1del
Forum Moderator

One is the panel for configuring xf86-input-libinput and the other is the panel for configuring xf86-input-evdev, did you configure your home computer to use evdev instead of libinput? I faintly remember a thread of yours where you used  a specifically patched evdev driver.

Last edited by V1del (2018-09-07 08:15:40)

#4 2018-09-07 10:17:57

Salkay

twelveeighty wrote:

To narrow down if this is related to any local configuration settings, try creating a new user on both systems and compare the system settings with the newly created default settings. Are they still different?

Thank you for the reply. I tried this on both systems, and they were both as expected, i.e. the same as my main user.

V1del wrote:

One is the panel for configuring xf86-input-libinput and the other is the panel for configuring xf86-input-evdev, did you configure your home computer to use evdev instead of libinput? I faintly remember a thread of yours where you used  a specifically patched evdev driver.

Aaaaah, thanks! And great memory! Yes, that seems likely then. It's Friday evening here, so I can't test my work system until Monday, but I can check the files by ssh. My home computer has /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf, which loads evdev for MatchIsPointer. However, this file is missing on my work computer. I can't even remember why I have it on my home computer, and it's not in my install notes. (FWIW the patched evdev is for my keyboard, which is loaded on both computers by a separate file.)

#5 2018-09-11 23:57:35

Salkay

Thanks @V1del. That was it indeed. After loading evdev for the mouse at work, I get the "advanced" mouse settings again.

Board footer