You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-09 02:13:46

regid

Aur site: suggesting eacg pkg page will have a link to wiki-aur-commen

Currently, when I am making a comment for an aur package and looking for help on the comment syntax, I go to the wiki, search for the aur page, and go to its Comment_syntax section. Is there a shorter way? There fore, I suggest each package page in the Aur site should have a link, titled "comment syntax", and leading to wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Comment_syntax.

Last edited by regid (2018-09-09 02:14:16)

powerofforreboot.efi (AUR): Utilities to be used from within a UEFI boot manager or shell.

#2 2018-09-09 02:28:59

circleface

Re: Aur site: suggesting eacg pkg page will have a link to wiki-aur-commen

regid wrote:

Is there a shorter way?

A bookmark?  How often do you need to look at that page?

#3 2018-09-09 03:40:18

regid

I am looking there quite often when I am making a comment.
I think you are missing the point. Here, on the forums pages, for example, there is a link to the BBCode help page at the bottom of every posting form. I have just used it again to recall the syntax of the link I wrote. Some other sites with a forum, that I am aware of, have a similar link. I think it is customary to have these links. Perhaps because they are generally required by many users. I think they also encourage people to post at the first place, and than to post nice formatted messages.

Last edited by regid (2018-09-09 05:17:15)

powerofforreboot.efi (AUR): Utilities to be used from within a UEFI boot manager or shell.

#4 2018-09-09 08:04:56

eschwartz
Fellow

The AUR is a custom website we designed ourselves, whereas the forums are powered by someone else's code. We didn't explicitly design the forums to have that link.

In any event, there is no official documentation for AUR comment format, and the wiki is not official documentation.

Feel free to write some official documentation, create a webpage about it (hosted on aur.archlinux.org inside aurweb itself) and link it in the comments form. The AUR code is hosted here: https://git.archlinux.org/aurweb.git/about/

Patches are always welcome.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2018-09-09 22:44:14

regid

I didn't try to imply the wiki is an official documentation. For clarity, I am pasting here all the text of the mentioned wiki paragraph, namely wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Comment_syntax.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Comment_syntax wrote:

The Python-Markdown syntax is supported in comments. It provides basic Markdown syntax to format comments. Note this implementation has some occasional differences with the official syntax rules. Commit hashes to the Git repository of the package and references to Flyspray tickets are converted to links automatically. Long comments are collapsed and can be expanded on demand.

Do see it in the wiki because the quotation above is without the underline links found in the wiki. If you still think that paragraph is not suitable for an help text, and doesn't see the advantage of having a single point where the comment syntax is documented, what about only using syntax rules for the help text? This URL, namely https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax, is taken straight from the mentioned paragraph of the wiki.
I have uploaded an image presenting the suggested link to help text on comment syntax in pseudo code. It is the red text near the bottom of the image. My skills in web designing are poor. I still haven't looked at the AUR code at https://git.archlinux.org/aurweb.git/about/. I hardly believe I will be able to write the desired patch in a reasonable time. Which is why I believe I will not write it at all.

Last edited by regid (2018-09-09 23:37:52)

#6 2018-09-10 01:18:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

regid wrote:

I hardly believe I will be able to write the desired patch in a reasonable time.

Well, if you write it in an unreasonable (amount of) time, that'd still be sooner than anyone else.

Silly aside: writing it in an unreasonable amount of time would imply it would be a long time; writing it in an unreasonable time implies that one would write it perhaps during a colonoscopy.  That's really not a reasonable time to be writing code.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2018-09-10 11:09:38

regid

Will the following patch do the trick presented by red pseudo code near the bottom of the image?

--- pkg_comment_box.php	2018-09-10 10:54:03.579661843 +0000
+++ pkg_comment_box_modified.php	2018-09-10 10:57:46.059850406 +0000
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
 <div id="generic-form" class="box">
-	<h2><?= (isset($comment_id)) ? __('Edit comment for: %s', htmlspecialchars($pkgbase_name)) : __("Add Comment"); ?></h2>
+	<h2><?= (isset($comment_id)) ? __('Edit comment for: %s', htmlspecialchars($pkgbase_name)) : __("Add Comment"); ?> <a href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Comment_syntax">__("help for comment syntax")</a></h2>
 	<?php include 'pkg_comment_form.php' ?>
 </div>

pkg_comment_box.php is here.

Last edited by regid (2018-09-10 13:13:40)

#8 2018-09-10 13:50:48

a821

Wouldn't it be easier to submit a feature request to the bug tracker? you can attach your patch.

#9 2018-09-10 15:03:28

regid

I'll try Programming & Scripting » What pseudo CSS, or other, code can improve in this case? first. I'm afraid the patch is too basic, assuming it will work at all. The outcome will be ugly. Some more eyes, not necessarily involved with aurweb, might improve it further before opening a feature request to the bug tracker.

Last edited by regid (2018-09-10 16:01:01)

Board footer