You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-15 12:11:51

smonsays

[Solved] Cannot use trash in NTFS partition with x-systemd.automount

I want to automount a relatively large ntfs partition on startup. The fstab wiki recommends to use options noauto,x-systemd.automount in case of large partitions. However, when adding these options, removing files from the mounted drive will delete them permanently instead of moving them to trash. Is there a way of having both - a functional trash as well as the postponed mounting?

This is the working fstab entry:

/dev/sda1               /mnt/Fileocean  ntfs-3g         uid=1000,gid=985     0       2 

This is the fstab entry that does not properly invoke the trash:

/dev/sda1               /mnt/Fileocean  ntfs-3g         noauto,x-systemd.automount,uid=1000,gid=985     0       2 

Last edited by smonsays (2018-09-15 17:00:10)

#2 2018-09-15 13:11:04

ooo

Re: [Solved] Cannot use trash in NTFS partition with x-systemd.automount

I'm guessing the trash implementation you, or your file manager is using, doesn't support trash on autofs filesystems. If this is the case, I suppose the best you can do is add a feature request upstream.

Have you tried if using only the 'noauto' mount option, and leaving out the 'x-systemd.automount' would work for your use case? That would require you to mount the partition manually every time you need to access it, but it wouldn't slow down your boot either.

#3 2018-09-15 15:16:19

smonsays

ooo wrote:

I'm guessing the trash implementation you, or your file manager is using, doesn't support trash on autofs filesystems. If this is the case, I suppose the best you can do is add a feature request upstream.

I use standard Nautilus under Gnome. Where/How would I find this kind of information?

ooo wrote:

Have you tried if using only the 'noauto' mount option, and leaving out the 'x-systemd.automount' would work for your use case? That would require you to mount the partition manually every time you need to access it, but it wouldn't slow down your boot either.

I guess that will make me more work than it saves time during the boot process...

#4 2018-09-15 16:00:52

ooo

smonsays wrote:

I use standard Nautilus under Gnome. Where/How would I find this kind of information?

Nautilus uses GIO from glib, so you'd look at GIO documentation and/or code. I couldn't find a list for supported filesystems at quick glance though.

If you want to open a feature request/bug report about this, you can do it at glib gitlab issue tracker.

I guess that will make me more work than it saves time during the boot process...

AFAIK, you should be able to mount the partition with single click on the nautilus sidebar.

You could probably also create a script that mounts the partition automatically during login without blocking other processes. See e.g. 'man gio' and autostarting wiki page.

If none of that works for you, have you actually checked whether using systemd.automount actually results in any measurable improvement? Unless the drive is slow, and partition huge, I'd imagine there wouldn't be any major difference in boot times. Unless you're rebooting your system multiple times a day, in this case using systemd.automount is probably not worth the trouble.

#5 2018-09-15 16:59:32

smonsays

ooo wrote:

AFAIK, you should be able to mount the partition with single click on the nautilus sidebar.

Oh yes, you are right! This is actually even better than systemd.automount. In this case, I will not open a feature request at glib.

Thanks a lot for your thorough answer!

Board footer