You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-30 02:28:45

Ashark

pcie usb passthrough: Unrecoverable error detected (video)

Hi
I am trying to passthrough my usb controller to qemu kvm. But unfortunately my machine gets paused right after starting. When I remove usb controller from machine, then it is starting just fine.
I have tried to launch vm in terminal and got such error:

vfio_err_notifier_handler(0000:04:00.0) Unrecoverable error detected. Please collect any data possible and then kill the guest

Here is video demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JdKHkgRXj8
I have found this reddit page , which describes exactly my situation. I also have such messages in dmesg including AER: Device recovery successful.
Also I have found this passthrough post which says that there are problems with passing through usb controllers starting from kernel 4.15. I think that it may be the case.
They provide a solution with reversing patch, but link is broken.
Could you please help me? I think I need that reverse patch, then recompile kernel (I will try to do it myself) and then test if the problem has gone.
My current kernel is 4.18.10-arch1-1-ARCH and the problem still occurs.

#2 2018-10-01 05:40:05

Ashark

Re: pcie usb passthrough: Unrecoverable error detected (video)

I have just checked it with kernel 4.16.13-2-ARCH (the earliest kernel that I have in my pacman cache) and the problem is presented there.
I also wanted to mention that usb passthrough worked for me sometimes (unfortunetely, I cannot remember kernel version and configurations). I think it was dependent of some randomness while booting. At some boot sessions it was able to start machine, but after host reboot, virtual machine was paused. I was experimenting with gpu passthrough and I suspected it was some kind related. But now there is no any problem with gpu passthrough.
in my /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf I have:
# isolating my RX 580 GPU: 1002:67df,1002:aaf0
# isolating asmedia usb controller: 1b21:2142
; options vfio-pci ids=1002:67df,1002:aaf0,1b21:2142
; options vfio-pci ids=1b21:2142
options vfio-pci ids=1002:67df,1002:aaf0

So I am not isolating usb controller for now. Is there any sense to do that for troubleshooting? Should be all ids in a single options line or I can make several options lines?

After each edit I ran mkinitcpio -p linux and rebooted. Also tried with isolated usb controller, but result is the same - machine pauses.

Board footer