You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-14 23:03:29

n00body

Need help fixing a theming issue in gnome

The Circumstances :
____I was trying to install some new Xursor themes, so installed Gcursor to help. I ended up opening the /root/.icons folder and uncompressing the content folders into there. This actually worked, and gave me the selection of cursors.

The Problem :
____This caused the themes to show up in the icon tab of the gnome theme menu as well. Like a dope, I clicked it in there to see what would happen. Gnome crashed, and now crashes everytime I try to log in.

The Ultimate Questions :
____One, how do I switch it back to a working cursor theme from the command line, so I can log back into gnome? Two, what's the proper way to install xcursor themes, so I can do it right from now on?

Arch = Debian + Gentoo + Bleeding edge software - annoyances. wink

#2 2006-08-15 00:09:00

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Need help fixing a theming issue in gnome

To install cursor theme put the cursors in  /usr/share/icons/
By default, there's already a few themes:  handhelds, redglass and whiteglass. You can check how they are setup.
To select the theme, in ~/.Xdefaults, put:

Xcursor.theme: redglass
Xcursor.size:  16

You could try that. It might revert the change done by gcursor. Otherwise you could try to remove the config by hand in ~/.gnome* or ~/.gconf

#3 2006-08-15 00:20:17

user

[url=http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6761]Arker[/url] wrote:

Here's how I do it...

Step 1: Unpack the tarball to a ~/.icons directory. Create this directory if it doesn't exist.

Step 2: You should now have several directories in the ~/.icons folder. One called "default" and one for each theme you want to have available. In your case, one called "jimmac". Edit the ~/.icons/default/index.theme file so that the second line of the file looks like this:
      Code:
      Inherits=jimmac

Step 3: Log out, log in.

You should be now using the new cursors. These instructions are for a particular user only. To do it system-wide (I also use Gentoo), follow the same instructions but substitute the /usr/share/cursors/xfree/ directory in for the ~/.icons directory.

Cheers,
~djc

PS: In my case, it is not completely cli, i had have to choose it in menu->desktop->preferences->mouse->pointers_tab

PPS: imo, default raw x11(from Xorg) cursor teh best!!!1!!111, by accident, my cursor theme was changed ugly default white theme.. i don't know how to go back!
i am using http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. … tent=28310

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#4 2006-08-15 15:00:12

kill

n00body wrote:

I ended up opening the /root/.icons folder and uncompressing the content folders into there.

I hope you're not running as root for day to day use...

#5 2006-08-15 15:08:20

jaboua

kill wrote:
n00body wrote:

I ended up opening the /root/.icons folder and uncompressing the content folders into there.

I hope you're not running as root for day to day use...

...I was just about to say the same

#6 2006-08-15 15:59:55

n00body

No no, that was an accident of running gcursor from the command line. Since I had just installed it, I was still in root mode when I ran it.

Arch = Debian + Gentoo + Bleeding edge software - annoyances. wink

Board footer