You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-05 16:51:55

mr.buffed

[SOLVED] TP X1 Carbon (Gen 6) & TP Hybrid USB-C/A dock - No monitor de

Hi there,

after a while of only reading here and in the wiki during setup of my laptop, I stumbled upon a problem, which it seems, I can't solve on my own. Thus, I decided to register and write here, hoping that someone can maybe help me or give me any advice what else to try.

So currently I've running an up to date (pacman -Syu) arch system on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Gen 6):

# dmidecode -t system | grep Version
   Version: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th

Furthermore, I bought a ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A dock (product number 40AF0135EU) and I'd like to use the dock together with my laptop. When I plug the USB-C cable into my laptop, all of the following ports work out of the box:

• 5x USB-A ports

• 1x USB-C port

• 1x Headphone jack

• 1x Ethernet port

The only ports, which are not working, are the two HDMI- and the two Display-ports. When I plug in any working (I checked them with a second setup I am currently running) cable, either HDMI or DP, literally nothing happens.

So, I checked the following logs and outputs, all while having an external monitor connected via HDMI or after freshly plugging in the dock:

'xrandr' -  http://codepad.org/TaGevkjN (HDMI cable is connected to the dock and to a switched on monitor)

'dmesg' - http://codepad.org/dNi975Yf (cleared dmesg before and then connected the dock, line 23), relevant line was

[ 2775.291835] usb 4-1.2: Manufacturer: DisplayLink

'lsusb' - http://codepad.org/pczVVei5 (with dock connected)

'Xorg.0.log' - http://codepad.org/2XOmhbsG (with dock connected)

Within the 'Xorg.0.log' file the lines 77-100 made me wonder, whether I have the correct drivers for my GPU installed. Currently, I've got installed 'xf86-video-intel'. However, this wiki page confused me and now im unsure whether this is wrong?

Regarding my setup:

At the moment I'm logging in on the CLI and starting i3 afterwards with 'startx' and 'xinitrc'. I did not yet setup i3 to use multiple monitors, but I think that xrandr should stil list external monitors, shouldn't it?

Also, when the dock is connected before booting the machine, the monitors are not recognized after booting and logging in.

I hope that any of you guys maybe has an idea what I could be missing. If you require any more logs or information, I'm happy to provide them to you!

Thanks and cheers
mr.buffed

Edit: I opened the same thread in the Lenovo Hardware forums as they might have any ideas as well. In case I'll find a solution over there, I'll update this thread as well.

Last edited by mr.buffed (2018-10-15 18:20:22)

#2 2018-10-11 19:35:19

mr.buffed

Re: [SOLVED] TP X1 Carbon (Gen 6) & TP Hybrid USB-C/A dock - No monitor de

Hi there,

doing further research and doing some trial and error I can confirm that the docking station is not broken, as it works out of the box with my Windows ThinkPad. However, connecting my Ubuntu Dell XPS15 (17.10) to the docking station yields the same results as for the X1C6, everything works as expected but the monitors.

Any further ideas?

Thanks
mr.buffed

Last edited by mr.buffed (2018-10-12 09:29:40)

#3 2018-10-15 12:42:02

damjan

That dock supports video out via an DisplayLink usb graphics device (which you can see in dmesg). Afaik, the support for DisplayLink in Linux is not great, so I'd suggest you change the dock to one supporting the DisplayPort part of the usb type-c connector.

#4 2018-10-15 18:13:24

mr.buffed

Hi damjan,

thanks for your hint regarding the fact that the dock supports video out via DisplayLink. After doing some research, I am now able to use the video out of my dock without any issues. In order to do so I followed the arch wiki for DisplayLink and afterwards applied the workaround from Github regarding the current version of the xorg server.

Thanks for your help!
mr.buffed

Board footer