You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-06 02:24:04

jmetal88

[SOLVED] Can't resume from suspend or hibernate

So, this is one that's been frustrating me tonight.  I just set up Arch Linux on my media center computer, and I've got things running relatively close to the way I want, but I'd like to be able to put the system to sleep to save power when I'm not watching anything.  I can suspend and hibernate using both pm-utils and systemctl, and GRUB is pointing the kernel to the correct resume location for hibernate, but in both cases the system freezes on resume.  In the case of suspend to RAM, the power light and fans come back on, but the monitor never comes back on and the system is totally unresponsive (keyboard lights won't even toggle).  In the case of hibernation, the system gives me a splash screen on boot that says 'resuming from hibernation', loads grub, loads the kernel, loads the hibernation image, *then* freezes with identical symptoms to the resume from suspend.

I'm running a fully updated system (as of a few minutes ago) and my motherboard BIOS (AsRock 760GM-GS3) has already been updated to the latest version (1.20).  I've checked my journalctl and did not see anything helpful (it appears to think it suspended correctly, and has no entries at all from the attempt at resuming).  This failure to resume happens regardless of whether I'm using X at the time of suspend or just booted to the console.

For what it's worth, I was previously running LinHES on this machine and had never actually attempted a suspend on it, but one of the reasons that I switched to Arch is because LinHES would not even shut down.  I would send the 'shutdown -h now' command and it would just reboot.  Arch Linux *does* shut down correctly, it just doesn't handle sleep correctly, it seems.  I was wanting to experiment with wake timers, but it doesn't look like they work from poweroff on this motherboard, so if I can't get the system to resume from sleep I'm not sure what my next course of action would be.

Last edited by jmetal88 (2018-10-06 14:00:59)

#2 2018-10-06 07:25:50

ugjka
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't resume from suspend or hibernate

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#3 2018-10-06 12:52:37

jmetal88

Okay, that does help a little bit.

I've got it displaying debug messages during the resume attempt now.  There are a lot of "calling input_dev_resume" lines, and a lot of "rc rc0/rc1: error -6" lines, but the last line before it locks up says "tuner 3-0061: calling tuner_resume+0x0/0x70 [tuner] @ 738, parent: i2c-3"

I do have two TV tuner cards installed in this system, so I guess my next step will be trying to unload their modules prior to suspend to see if that improves anything.

#4 2018-10-06 13:00:52

jmetal88

Bingo! Resume is now working properly if I unload the cx18_alsa, cx18, and cx2341x modules prior to suspend.

Thanks a lot!  That is a very helpful debugging document, and I'm not sure how I didn't run across it when I was Google searching.  Perhaps I was thinking too specifically.

Now to figure out how to unload and reload those modules automatically...

#5 2018-10-06 14:03:14

jmetal88

Alright!  Just made myself a suspend/resume script in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/ to take care of the dirty work for me.

It stops my mythtv backend and unloads those modules when I send the system to sleep, and reloads them, restarts mythbackend, and restarts lircd for me after resume.

Now I guess I can start my wake timer experiments again.

Board footer