You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-06 23:01:56

nannerpussy

gpg keyserver error: No keyserver available [SOLVED]

I'm trying to install the acestream-player and it requires an older version of ffmpeg (ffmpeg-compat-54), which in turn requires importing a PGP key to verify. Here is the yay error output:

==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    ffmpeg-2.3.6.tar.bz2 ... Passed
    ffmpeg-2.3.6.tar.bz2.asc ... Skipped
==> Verifying source file signatures with gpg...
    ffmpeg-2.3.6.tar.bz2 ... FAILED (unknown public key B4322F04D67658D8)
==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!
Error downloading sources: libavutil-52

So, I do what I have always done and use:

gpg --recv-keys B4322F04D67658D8

which then returns this error:

gpg: keyserver receive failed: No keyserver available

I then refreshed my keys using pacman-key and then imported using pacman-key and it said it imported it correctly, yet the package still won't pass the check with yay. Why can pacman-key function properly while gpg does not? I tried other keyservers, no dice. I also read a few related threads and tried the various dirmngr related solutions and that did not work. I think this is something really basic I'm missing here and just not seeing it. Did I not setup gpg properly to begin with? Using a GUI app like kgpg also returns the same keyserver error.

Edit:

gpg --refresh-keys also returns the keyserver error.

And here is the output of gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --refresh-keys

gpg: refreshing 13 keys from hkp://pgp.mit.edu
gpg: WARNING: Tor is not running
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: Connection refused

I recently installed the TOR browser bundle and setup a VPN service, if that matters.

Also, just in case, here's the output of gpgconf:

gpg:OpenPGP:/usr/bin/gpg
gpg-agent:Private Keys:/usr/bin/gpg-agent
scdaemon:Smartcards:/usr/lib/gnupg/scdaemon
gpgsm:S/MIME:/usr/bin/gpgsm
dirmngr:Network:/usr/bin/dirmngr
pinentry:Passphrase Entry:/usr/bin/pinentry

Last edited by nannerpussy (2018-10-10 06:50:14)

#2 2018-10-07 00:53:14

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: gpg keyserver error: No keyserver available [SOLVED]

Please fix your thread title, since your problem has nothing to do with yay or any other AUR helper.

As for your connection refused issue, since it explicitly mentions tor, I'm guessing tor is somehow involved. But since I don't use tor, I have no idea how it would interact.

Maybe pacman-key worked because it isn't configured to pass through tor? But that may just be because as a program running as root with its own isolated GnuPG keyring, it's not using *_PROXY variables -- but I'd tend to assume your vpn is operating on the network level, not as a per-process proxy.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2018-10-07 01:10:45

nannerpussy

Eschwartz wrote:

Please fix your thread title, since your problem has nothing to do with yay or any other AUR helper.

As for your connection refused issue, since it explicitly mentions tor, I'm guessing tor is somehow involved. But since I don't use tor, I have no idea how it would interact.

Maybe pacman-key worked because it isn't configured to pass through tor? But that may just be because as a program running as root with its own isolated GnuPG keyring, it's not using *_PROXY variables -- but I'd tend to assume your vpn is operating on the network level, not as a per-process proxy.

Error occurs with or without VPN enabled. Yeah I guess it doesn't have anything to do with yay, but yay will usually auto-import keys for me and at first I thought maybe that was where it was failing.

Last edited by nannerpussy (2018-10-07 01:11:31)

#4 2018-10-08 15:08:56

sjensen

I have no idea, what these "tor bundle" does, but you might check your dirmngr config:

~/.gnupg/dirmngr.conf

and put "no-use-tor" in there or/and remove "use-tor". A restart is needed after that. ("man dirmngr" tells you more)

#5 2018-10-10 06:49:17

nannerpussy

sjensen wrote:

I have no idea, what these "tor bundle" does, but you might check your dirmngr config:

~/.gnupg/dirmngr.conf

and put "no-use-tor" in there or/and remove "use-tor". A restart is needed after that. ("man dirmngr" tells you more)

You are a genius. This fixed it. TOR is the Onion Router, which is a very secure network protocol providing almost invisible anonymity and allowing access to .onion sites (the dark net). For some reason when you install the TOR browser bundle from the Arch repo, dirmngr.conf gets updated with the use-tor option and a .onion hkp site to refresh keys from. I don't remember it telling me this, but it uses a custom Firefox setup and may have been in the GUI portion of the install and I missed it. Basically it would have worked fine had I run the TOR browser and enabled TOR, but had to way of working without that. Security measure I imagine.

Thanks again.

Board footer