You are not logged in.

#26 2006-10-28 21:39:09

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: phpbb 3.0 is approaching

dtw wrote:

Well, if you use teh Arch theme, as I do, and you use firefox the you should see that all the quotes and nested quotes are all kind of left aligned to one another - there is no horizontal or vertical padding.  If you switch to the other theme you will see how they should be padded...so, yeah, still here.

Checked with Firefox 2.0. Yes, you are right, I think I just never paid attention to this.

Hmm, I compared original CSS and CSS from Arch theme but can't find significant differences. Maybe header CSS conflicts with template CSS.  :?
I need to do more investigation.

to live is to die

#27 2006-10-28 21:44:31

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Yes, the header conflicts with template, the header sets all the padding 0 and overrides the template

#28 2006-10-28 21:46:47

Romashka
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:

Yes, the header conflicts with template, the header sets all the padding 0 and overrides the template

I've just came to the same conclusion  smile , first line is

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

Why not just replace it with

body { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

?

Honestly all .css files are a bit complex, IMHO they can be simplified and made more consistent.
It's hard to test changes in CSS for Arch website in other browsers than Opera because they don't have "Reload from cache" feature.
When saving and modifying page in Firefox I cannot see the canges because Firefox shows default theme when I load saved page.  sad (I don't know how to explain this good, so my explanation may look a bit blurry for you)

UPDATE:

body { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

This does not break anything in Opera, cannot test this in Firefox fully (because of reasons described above).
To Judd: please make a quick change on server and test it with Firefox if it doesn't break something else.

UPDATE #2:
Another solution is to put this somewhere in template CSS:

td {margin: auto; padding: auto;}

This should work, though I haven't tested it. (the only problem may be that AFAIK setting something to "auto" may lead to different behaviour in M$ IE sometimes).

UPDATE #3: hmm, replacing * with body does small modification - it moves submenu by 5-10 pixels down. sad
So it's better to use solution 2.

to live is to die

#29 2006-10-28 22:45:50

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Eureka!!!  big_smile

Finally I found the solution which doesn't breaks anything. Tested in Opera, Firefox and IE.

Just add this line somewhere to templates/Arch/Arch.css:

.postbody + table { margin: auto; padding: auto; }

I'm proud to finally find the solution at 1:46 past midnight. big_smile
My previous post can be ignored.

to live is to die

#30 2006-10-28 23:21:13

iphitus
Forum Fellow

re, punbb, does it have a migration script?

I was on a forum that used to use phpbb, until phpbb started to really struggle with the userbase. They moved to invision, which I'm not suggesting here, because it costs, but the move there was quite clean. I can't remember any major problems. So it is possible to do.

punbb has a migration tool. Maybe it would be worth setting up a punbb installation, and do a test migration to see how well it works? There's plenty of people who seem to have had success with this tool on the punbb forums.

If the test works well, then continue settin up punbb till it's ready, set in a sub dir, and when it's working, run the migrate script, put this one in maintenance and just have judd adjust apache to point bbs to punbb. punbb fortunately supports bbcode, so that would reduce the difficulty in moving posts.

James

#31 2006-10-29 00:12:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

cool. A conversion tool.
so there really wouldn't be such a high barrier for migrating older posts time wise.... just a decision whether to clean everything out and start over..or not.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#32 2006-10-29 01:49:57

iphitus
Forum Fellow

yeah, I wonder how much of the forums is worth keeping.

a majority of the problems raised are 'current' problems, linked to changes or bugs in the distro.

then there's a heap of frequently asked questions that come up all the time, that are probably often also solved by searching. Rather than keep, we ought to seek these out, and develop a faq.

Although on the other hand, what cost is there in keeping older stuff? Maybe it would be more beneficial to keep it for searching -- is there really any disadvantage to make it worthwhile to discard?

Some forums we could discard, or at least prune heavily though, which would be a good start.

btw, cactus, 3000 posts.

James

#33 2006-10-29 02:03:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Rasat wants to keep old posts around for historical reasons, and I'm inclined to agree. Search results come in reverse chronological order, so older posts tend to get ignored anyway. Its nice to have a history of everything, just because posts don't seem relevant now doesn't mean they won't in ten months or ten years.

3000 again, cactus? rasat's gonna have to start pruning again....

Romashka: Thanks for finding the fix. As I understand, if we do this, the Arch theme will look good and I can set it to default?

dtw: do you still -- did you ever -- have access to the web server for stuff like this?

I've filed a bug report on the site, hopefully Judd will get to it someday.
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5703

Dusty

#34 2006-10-29 06:01:37

Romashka
Forum Fellow

iphitus wrote:

re, punbb, does it have a migration script?

Yes. smile

iphitus wrote:

If the test works well, then continue settin up punbb till it's ready, set in a sub dir, and when it's working, run the migrate script, put this one in maintenance and just have judd adjust apache to point bbs to punbb. punbb fortunately supports bbcode, so that would reduce the difficulty in moving posts.

Yes, but access to phpBB's MySQL database is needed for migrating wink

to live is to die

#35 2006-10-29 06:10:51

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Dusty wrote:

Rasat wants to keep old posts around for historical reasons, and I'm inclined to agree. Search results come in reverse chronological order, so older posts tend to get ignored anyway. Its nice to have a history of everything, just because posts don't seem relevant now doesn't mean they won't in ten months or ten years.

I agree.

Dusty wrote:

Romashka: Thanks for finding the fix. As I understand, if we do this, the Arch theme will look good and I can set it to default?

Yep.

Dusty wrote:

I've filed a bug report on the site, hopefully Judd will get to it someday.
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5703

I'm watching this task now.

Next week I'll be busy with 3 small commercial sites, so I can get my hands to my "redesign" project as well.
We have a virtual hosting somewhere in US, so it will be nice to try PunBB+DokuWiki there. 'cause it all looks nice to read on their sites but better to "touch with hands". smile

to live is to die

#36 2006-10-30 03:21:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Apparently the task has been implemented, though quite frankly, I'm not sure i notice the difference. Is it live? If so, I'll make Arch the new default theme?

Dusty

#37 2006-10-30 07:58:36

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I see no difference sad

#38 2006-10-30 08:14:11

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Maybe your Firefoxes didn't update CSS and used cached version instead. :?
Because I see quotes in Firefox 1.0.7 & 2.0 displayed correctly, as in Silver theme.

to live is to die

#39 2006-10-30 10:52:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Romashka wrote:

Because I see quotes in Firefox 1.0.7 & 2.0 displayed correctly, as in Silver theme.

doesnt work here either. I only started using epiphany a week ago, and havn't once used the Arch theme till i saw that bug was fixed, so cache cant be a problem for me.

the CSS for the header needs some work, if it's going to be used globally, it needs to be rewritten. Currently we're trying to fix problems in the header's CSS, in the forums's CSS, wrong way around. It's like declaring a global variable when it's only needed locally, and then trying to work around it in all the sub routines of a program. The CSS for the header is too general. It says's 'apply this for everything' - which works on the homepage, but it makes the forums and wiki look like arse. The wiki seems affected, but more subtly.

Imho the wiki needs al little work too. very congested and messy -- and the actual content is far too hidden from the main page. It says that much of the wiki is browsable by the navigation on the left and right, but there's not one link to the howtos and actual content in any of those major navigation bars -- the link is hidden within the text of the next paragraph.

I guess thats something else on the list of things-to-do after exams, I'll see if I can get access from Judd after i've done some ground work in fixing it all up cleanly then.

James

#40 2006-10-30 11:26:11

Romashka
Forum Fellow

iphitus wrote:
Romashka wrote:

doesnt work here either. I only started using epiphany a week ago, and havn't once used the Arch theme till i saw that bug was fixed, so cache cant be a problem for me.

Strange... Here's my screenshot. What's wrong here?
(It's from windoze at my first work, but 30 minutes ago I used Firefox under Arch at my second work - it shows the same).

iphitus wrote:

the CSS for the header needs some work, if it's going to be used globally, it needs to be rewritten. Currently we're trying to fix problems in the header's CSS, in the forums's CSS, wrong way around. It's like declaring a global variable when it's only needed locally, and then trying to work around it in all the sub routines of a program. The CSS for the header is too general. It says's 'apply this for everything' - which works on the homepage, but it makes the forums and wiki look like arse. The wiki seems affected, but more subtly.

Imho the wiki needs al little work too. very congested and messy -- and the actual content is far too hidden from the main page. It says that much of the wiki is browsable by the navigation on the left and right, but there's not one link to the howtos and actual content in any of those major navigation bars -- the link is hidden within the text of the next paragraph.

I agree. All CSS need to be completely reworked.
I'm already working on some fixes for Wiki.

to live is to die

#41 2006-10-30 11:34:06

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

The bug does not appear in IE in windows, maybe it doesn't appear in firefox either?

#42 2006-10-30 11:50:31

Romashka
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:

The bug does not appear in IE in windows, maybe it doesn't appear in firefox either?

This padding bug was in Firefox until my fix. Now it's gone as showed on my screenshot. I tested with the latest mozilla-firefox under Arch and Firefox 1.0.7 and 2.0, Opera 9 and IE 6 under Windows.

Note that Firefox has worse caching mechanisms than Opera. I had to manually refresh page to make it download new Arch.css

to live is to die

#43 2006-10-30 18:47:17

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ok, manual refresh worked...but not properly

#44 2006-10-30 19:42:03

Romashka
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:

ok, manual refresh worked...but not properly

Please post a screenshot and explain what's not working properly.

to live is to die

#45 2006-10-30 21:09:55

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Hmmmmm,

Guess even being the new guy on the block, i'll through in my 2 cents wink  I run several phpBB forums and had no major issues with any of them. .... as long as they were kept up2date.  I tried running punbb on one of my sites, and it was fine until it came time to upgrade and then things fell apart.... it wasn't pretty. Given, that was in the earlier days of punbb, but it wasn't robust enough anyway without adding in tons of hacks..... making upgrades a pain again.

I plan on using phpBB2.x until the stable phpBB3 comes out.... when it comes out, there WILL BE CONVERTORS available to move everything from phpBB2.x to phpBB3.0 

As for phpBB's captcha ..... it works to an extent, but there are other options available. I've implemented several basic things on my forums that have my bot registration down to almost zero, and spammers as well.

As for keeping the posts.... why NOT keep the posts ??? If for nothing more than historical perspective and because people took the time to write them down. Wholesale wiping out of posts on a forum isn't a good thing..... just my opinion.  100,000 posts is just a few MB's of storage...   

I know i'm new here..... but that's my perspective wink

#46 2006-10-30 21:30:27

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

crouse wrote:

As for phpBB's captcha ..... it works to an extent, but there are other options available. I've implemented several basic things on my forums that have my bot registration down to almost zero, and spammers as well.

How big are your forums? With nearly 8000 users here, we're getting a bit overwhelmed with spammers, but I think most of them are not automated signups. What sort of things have you implemented to reduce these things?

Dusty

#47 2006-10-30 21:50:45

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Dusty wrote:
crouse wrote:

How big are your forums? With nearly 8000 users here, we're getting a bit overwhelmed with spammers, but I think most of them are not automated signups. What sort of things have you implemented to reduce these things?

Dusty

http://usalug.org 900 posting members, 85,644 posts 4 years old.
http://opensuse.us 1381 members, 6245 posts 6 months old
http://bashscripts.org 62 members 974 posts ... 2years old ???

If you go to :
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=register
You'll see a simple .htaccess enabled login box for the profile.php page.... that cut the spam/bot registrations down from over 100 month to zero. Simple but effective....so far anyway.  Many of what you would think are REAL users, are automated signups by bots. I think jbsnake here has access to the moderators section of usalug.org and can verify that the deleted users from bots is not almost non-existant.

NOTE: If they can't follow the directions on the login box.....they probably are going to have a hard time with Linux in general wink

Another thing I've done....
Made many of the pages viewable ONLY to members that are logged in..... memberlist etc.... kind of takes the fun away from the spammers if they don't get their url noticed....

Manually checking the url's listed in profiles..... time consuming, but with several site administrators it's easy to accomplish. That way if someone DOES take the time to actually sign up and enter the information in manually, they still get caught..... but with the .htaccess on the profile.php page..... that hasn't been an issue for months.

A few (not all ) of the security things i've done....

Use a .htaccess file to password protect the /admin directory.

Make sure the permissions on the files are as restrictive as possible..... owner READ only if you can, or RW if absolutely necc.

Triple check the config.php file and make sure it's READ only for OWNER.

Make sure that the OWNER of all the files are APACHE. : chown -r apache:apache *      ....... or whatever user you run your web server under.

Optionally .... security through obscurity... rename files and remove all VERSION numbers from files. This DOES help. Automated bots can't determine WHICH version, making it harder to hack if the hack is a specific one for a certain version number of phpbb. ---- Note, the phpBB team finally did this .... more or less, removing the version number from the bottom of the pages. I still change the description there.

#48 2006-11-01 02:22:57

benplaut

Last edited by benplaut (2021-06-25 12:35:26)

#49 2006-11-01 09:07:47

Romashka
Forum Fellow

benplaut wrote:

I'm a big fan of SimpleMachines (i think it's YaBB NG), 2nd place goes to phpbb.

SMF started as YaBB rewrite in PHP but then developed further.

benplaut wrote:

I've used punbb, and it was too simple for my tastes...

We don't need bells and wistles anyway, do we? wink
PunBB can be extended with mods, if there will be reasons for it.
The main feature is its easy integration into wiki, main site etc.

to live is to die

#50 2006-11-06 16:13:58

rezza

OK, for what it's worth (not much I'm guessing), I'd have to say that PunBB is an amazing piece of software... simple to set up and use, and it can look stunning (see http://www.haveamint.com/forum/ and ogle at the beauty).

Board footer