You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-16 20:35:45

CatholicMathGuy

[SOLVED] KDE local config issue causing certain images to not display

There are a number of strange problems with my current KDE configuration that I have yet to manage to duplicate elsewhere. For one, when selecting a desktop background none of the options load, instead showing a missing image thumbnail. Similarly, when adding widgets, their icons do not display. There was a recent similar problem with my profile image on the lock screen which mostly fixed itself, but it now renders as a square image instead of the more aesthetically pleasing circle.

The first two of these problems have been present since I got my current computer (a year ago), and I think I know the general cause. At the time I set this machine up, I copied my ~/.config folder over so I would not lose my settings. It was a somewhat dumb move, but it mostly worked. Unfortunately, my old computer was more of a mess than my current one, so some problems carried over. Probably.

I have determined that it is definitely a local problem, as trying a different user with the default settings resulted in everything working perfectly fine. Unfortunately, I have no idea what files are causing the problem, nor where to look at this point. I've tried backing up and removing all the plasma* config files, and the problem remains. Also, copying those files into another user applied my preferred plasma settings without creating the problem. So it's not there. I've also tried emptying the ~./cache folder and removing any config files that seemed unnecessary. Nothing seems to affect the issue.

I'm not completely sure it's all the same problem, but it is likely related.

Some screenshots:

Example 1
Example 2

I've yet to find anyone on the internet with the same problem. I'm posting here instead of the Applications and Desktop Environments section because it's probably something simple I just completely missed. Does anyone know what might cause this, or where to look? Or what information would help?

Last edited by CatholicMathGuy (2018-10-17 01:28:20)

#2 2018-10-17 00:36:36

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] KDE local config issue causing certain images to not display

Does looking at your journal/opening systemsettings5 in a terminal, reveal some info on what the problem could be?

#3 2018-10-17 01:26:50

CatholicMathGuy

Re: [SOLVED] KDE local config issue causing certain images to not display

Opening systemsettings5 in a terminal did help, actually. One of the main messages being displayed was

QWidget::paintEngine: Should no longer be called

Based on that, I looked at kdeglobals and noticed a line about the Qt renderer being set to software. That reminded me about an item that had appeared in my system tray a while ago that offered an option to switch between software, OpenGL, and automatic for the Qt renderer (I think). I switched it to automatic, restarted plasma, and most the issues I was having are fixed. The exception is the desktop background images. That must be a different issue. Mildly annoying, but far easier for me to deal with than the rest.

Both the item in the system tray, and the option in kdeglobals have vanished since the change.

Thank you. I'd say this is solved enough for me.

Edit: Just solved the desktop background images thing, too. It was resolved by installing kio-extras.

Last edited by CatholicMathGuy (2018-10-17 02:47:58)

Board footer