You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-25 13:14:18

Guybrush1973

Graphical issue on Gnome boot

Hi all,
  I used Arch (core) for years, and I experienced many issues, but this time I don't really know how to debug this one, so I'll ask if you can get me some hints to find it out.

When I boot my laptop (XPS 9560, dunno if it's important) I see login page (tried with ldm and gdm, same issue). I write my password, then I login to my system. And hire starts problems.

External monitors (tried VGA and DP through USB-C and HDMI direct plug) works fine, getting me experience just like my internal monitor is on, how it should be. My internal monitor instead is on with evident back-light on, but the screen stay black.
Additionally, I found a strange work-around: pressing power button PC go to sleep, when I wake it up again, internal monitor works fine, so I can use my laptop without re-installing whole system. But every reboot or shut-down + normal boot, I have to login, send PC to sleep and wake it up again. Really annoying.

I have installed Windows 10 too, and no problems there, so I'm almost sure it's a software bug. I tried Gnome with ldm and gdm, X and Wayland versione for both. Same issue.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on there, but can't find nothing interesting. Can you drive me in right direction? I really appreciate do not have to re-install whole system.

Thanks in advance

Regards

#2 2018-10-27 07:13:08

shunonymous
Website

Re: Graphical issue on Gnome boot

Hi.

My Razer Blade Stealth caused similar issue.

Detail is here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108083

First, please try downgrade kernel to 4.18.7 (or older).

If resolved (or hard to get old package), next, you need to build package to use newer kernel.

Way 1) Try to drm-intel branch in freedesktop.org

I made PKGBUILD

Way 2) Try to build linux-git package in AUR with reverting 399334708b4f07b107094e5db4a390f0f25d2d4f

If you go well, after that, wish to resolve in mainline.

Please tell result to me.

Regards

#3 2018-10-28 16:24:44

Guybrush1973

Hi,
  thanks for your reply shunonymous. I'm actually using linux-ck (with dkms feature) as primary kernel. I have another two installed (don't remember which one), and next time I'll have couple of hours I'll try with them and keep you up to date.

Btw I'm not fully understanding your solution. What I usually do when my kernel need update is downloading and compiling with yaourt. For sure I can downgrade to older version (maybe from aur or other), but in this scenario I think and can just wait to fixed kernel goes out with same result and less effort. Instead I would like to apply some kind of path, but I don't know how to do that. Can you please give me some kind of help or posting a link with a tutorial? Using this extremely updated kernel this is not first bug I found, and maybe path solution could fine for me waiting fixed code from aur.

Thanks and regards

#4 2018-10-29 12:41:18

shunonymous
Website

Hi,

I'll write tutorial.

I focused to kernel because issue exist in kernel in my case.

So I thought your case is same, but may not.

Easiest method to confirming it is downgrading kernel.

If not resolved by downgrading, please forget my post, I have no any other idea.

Older kernel packages is exist in /var/cache/pacman/pkg (if you not deleted).

Example, instaling arch kernel 4.18.7,

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-4.18.7.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

If resolve (or not exist older package), setup newer kernel. (Of course, you can abort here, but, I think, it's boring select.)

In drm-intel branch, this poroblem is already fixed, so try it.

git clone https://github.com/shunonymous/aur-linux-drm-intel-git
cd aur-linux-drm-intel-git
makepkg -si

After install, please don't forget adding entry to bootloader.

Other way, make patch yourself and apply. It maybe works on custom kernel, but it will be hard work.

Ah, yes, waiting fix in mainline is easiest way.

Regards

Board footer