You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-31 14:27:37

afader

Help creating a new gdm-wayland-nvidia PKGBUILD

Hello, I have created a new PKGBUILD to address this gdm issue, and this commit.

However, although my PKGBUILD seems to work and I think performance is slightly improved, I still don't get a wayland option when I boot, which was my intention.

#2 2018-10-31 19:47:59

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Help creating a new gdm-wayland-nvidia PKGBUILD

Did you enable modesetting on your driver? It is absolutely required for any sensible wayland support to even be considered: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … de_setting FWIW you shouldn't get a wayland option (but a gnome on xorg one) if you are indeed starting with wayland, just check your XDG_SESSION_TYPE after logon

Last edited by V1del (2018-10-31 19:49:15)

#3 2018-10-31 22:03:59

afader

Re: Help creating a new gdm-wayland-nvidia PKGBUILD

I do have kms with nvidia-drm and stuff being loaded. I'm setting something in my kernel line in grub cfg. That part seems to work

Weirdly enough, although my Xsessions directory contains a Gnome on Xorg and a Gnome session, they both seem to have the same content in the .desktop file - they both just start gnome-session. I tried setting various environment variables to get it to start in wayland, but no luck

# XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland
# EGL_PLATFORM=wayland
# GDK_BACKEND=wayland
# CLUTTER_BACKEND=wayland

^ Setting the above in /etc/environment or /etc/gdm/Init/Default (not sure which is strictly necessary), and installing my pkgbuild from above which reverts the disable commit, seems to be trying and failing to boot in wayland. I know, periodically, on old versions of the nvidia driver, I could successfully boot in wayland. What I suppose I can try now is to use old versions of the nvidia driver and/or of gnome-shell, mutter, etc. Have tried the gnome-shell-performance and mutter-781835-workaround.

Last edited by afader (2018-10-31 22:59:31)

Board footer