You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-02 21:23:27

captainron

Provisioning new installs

AIF is long gone, and it looks like AIF-NG hasn't seen any attention in a couple of years. I'm curious what, if anything, people use to provision systems. Is AIF-NG still viable?

Ultimately I'm trying to provision hosts through PXE using Foreman the same way that I do with RedHat/Debian/Fedora/Ubuntu/etc. I don't have a problem creating my own ISOs to boot over NFS/HTTP, I would just like to know what utilities make sense to add to the image.

#2 2018-11-02 22:12:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Provisioning new installs

How does this relate to the AIF?  Use the installation iso to install.  Install whatever utilities you will need.  Or, since you mentioned it, you can PXE boot a live system for installation.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-11-02 22:13:18)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-11-02 22:31:20

Slithery
Administrator

Most of the Arch infrastructure is provisioned using Ansible...
https://git.archlinux.org/infrastructure.git/tree/

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2018-11-02 23:25:26

captainron

I use Ansible once the host has been provisioned, but I guess there's nothing you couldn't do during installation with a playbook. I'm used to Kickstart and preseed, both of which will take a URL to the config as a kernel parameter. With Ansible I suppose you would just setup your ISO to do a oneshot with systemd?

Board footer