You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-05 11:12:19

JustSomeGeek
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2018-08-13
Posts: 46

Books?

Sure it's been asked before, but any recommended books for learning (Arch) Linux in detail?

The Wiki and Web are great generally, but it's too easy to get sidetracked, or have to follow links for more info or explanations. I'm looking for something more linear I can work through. Needs to be recent though and cover things like UEFI, Systemd etc.

Any suggestions?

Offline

#2 2018-11-05 11:17:32

judd1
Member
Registered: 2015-09-04
Posts: 260

Re: Books?

It may be over understood, but for Arch the best book, for me, is the wiki


This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.
-- Wolfgang Pauli --

Offline

#3 2018-11-05 11:22:45

ugjka
Member
From: Latvia
Registered: 2014-04-01
Posts: 1,715
Website

Re: Books?

Doubt there are books that cover rolling release distros because everything keeps changing.

Offline

#4 2018-11-05 11:52:35

JustSomeGeek
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2018-08-13
Posts: 46

Re: Books?

judd1 wrote:

It may be over understood, but for Arch the best book, for me, is the wiki

It is good, for looking things up. But like I said, I need something linear to work through. It's easier for me to learn that way.

Offline

#5 2018-11-05 14:42:04

stloma
Member
Registered: 2018-11-04
Posts: 4

Re: Books?

I'm kind of the same way - I ended up getting the Unix and Linux Administration Handbook to work through in a linear fashion, while supplementing it with the wiki for Arch specific implementations.

Maybe something like that would work for you.

Offline

#6 2018-11-05 16:20:47

JustSomeGeek
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2018-08-13
Posts: 46

Re: Books?

stloma wrote:

I'm kind of the same way - I ended up getting the Unix and Linux Administration Handbook to work through in a linear fashion, while supplementing it with the wiki for Arch specific implementations.

Maybe something like that would work for you.


Something like that maybe. But having looked at it, there's way too much I don't need to know, at this stage. I need something with much less cloud, and more local machine orientated. Probably loads out there, but I don't know what Linux books are more suitable for Arch. The Centos/RHEL ones I have for the server aren't very helpful lol

Offline

#7 2018-11-05 16:58:30

a821
Member
Registered: 2012-10-31
Posts: 353

Offline

#8 2018-11-05 19:56:28

JustSomeGeek
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2018-08-13
Posts: 46

Re: Books?


Thanks. Some nice nuggets in there. But I really want something that will take me through from power on to login. Don't think there's any other way i'll grasp it all other wise. Too much stuff to learn for a 48 year old.

Offline

#9 2019-01-14 05:21:46

bluetechgirl
Member
Registered: 2019-01-14
Posts: 18

Re: Books?

Aside from the wiki or general Linux system admin books there isn't much since arch is rolling release and constantly changing. One thing you could possibly try if you have the time and patience is the LFS book and just do a basic setup in a VM or on a spare computer. Doing an LFS install will teach you more about how the internal Linux system works than anything else.

Offline

#10 2019-01-27 08:34:14

semicolon
Member
Registered: 2019-01-27
Posts: 2

Re: Books?

JustSomeGeek wrote:

Thanks. Some nice nuggets in there. But I really want something that will take me through from power on to login. Don't think there's any other way i'll grasp it all other wise. Too much stuff to learn for a 48 year old.

Maybe this is what you are looking for: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_boot_process
This is a great book to get an understanding of working of your system: https://nostarch.com/howlinuxworks2
Finally, it all comes down to getting your hands dirty and trying things out.

All the best, mate!


"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
                            - Richard Feynman

Offline

#11 2022-06-26 13:13:22

rfab
Member
From: Switzerland
Registered: 2022-05-22
Posts: 3

Re: Books?

I know I'm three years late, but perhaps my post is useful for other users instead of the OP?

I have worked through this book and, as a non-IT specialist, have had very satisfying success indeed:

https://themouseless.dev/

Best regards

Rolf

Offline

#12 2022-06-26 19:49:32

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
From: Bagelstan
Registered: 2014-05-04
Posts: 2,360
Website

Re: Books?

Paying 20€ for a book that's mostly (*) covered by ArchWiki and which otherwise details the author's personal configuration does not sound convincing...

At least it's better than the usual things you find on the internet: man pages are mentioned from the start, and there's a clearn warning to avoid partial upgrades.

(*) The exception seems to be 2 chapters on writing your own "installer" using dialog.

Last edited by Alad (2022-06-26 19:52:00)


Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Offline

#13 2022-06-27 15:14:41

JustSomeGeek
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2018-08-13
Posts: 46

Re: Books?

rfab wrote:

I know I'm three years late, but perhaps my post is useful for other users instead of the OP?

I have worked through this book and, as a non-IT specialist, have had very satisfying success indeed:

https://themouseless.dev/

Best regards

Rolf

Never too late IMHO, and it's always good to get recommendations, especially when it's something interesting to put me out of my comfort zone. Some good topics in there, that i'd skim over, or avoid normally, but reading about i3 would probably give me the kick I need to try it.

Offline

#14 2022-06-27 15:16:26

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
From: Bagelstan
Registered: 2014-05-04
Posts: 2,360
Website

Re: Books?

but reading about i3 would probably give me the kick I need to try it.

https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_using_i3

One of the better user guides out there. And it's constantly updated.

Last edited by Alad (2022-06-27 15:17:58)


Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

Offline

#15 2022-06-27 15:23:08

JustSomeGeek
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2018-08-13
Posts: 46

Re: Books?

Alad wrote:

Paying 20€ for a book that's mostly (*) covered by ArchWiki and which otherwise details the author's personal configuration does not sound convincing...

At least it's better than the usual things you find on the internet: man pages are mentioned from the start, and there's a clearn warning to avoid partial upgrades.

(*) The exception seems to be 2 chapters on writing your own "installer" using dialog.

I guess it depends on whether you want specific information to get something done, or want to read about how other people get stuff done. Personally, I like to read about other's experiences with anything Linux, and why they've chosen the things they have. The Wiki is a goldmine of info, if all you want are pure facts, but it doesn't really have the personal touch that makes for an enjoyable read offline.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB