You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-06 13:47:48

Thrawn

Need help understanding intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre PKGBUILD

Hello!! I've come across 2 packages with the same PKGBUILD but that provide different functionalities, and I'm puzzled by how such a thing is possible?

More specifically, these 2 packages have different names, and different package details in the AUR web UI, but as far as I can tell, they both use the same AUR git url:

- intellij-idea-ultimate-edition
- intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre
- and the common AUR git url: intellij-idea-ultimate-edition.git
- for quick reference, here is the PKGBUILD

How is it possible to have the same PKGBUILD file but different package details in the AUR web UI?

Also, they seems to provide different features (from what I can tell, installing only intellij-idea-ultimate-edition resulted in some default font problem, installing the -jre package as well fixed it), suggesting that something changed, but again, as the PKGBUILD is the same, I'm not sure how it's possible.

Thanks in advance!!

#2 2018-11-06 14:05:35

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Need help understanding intellij-idea-ultimate-edition-jre PKGBUILD

It's the same pkgbase, with a split package setup. One PKGBUILD builds multiple packages.

#3 2018-11-06 15:34:31

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you read the PKGBUILD with some cursory knowledge of Bash (or rather the file operations mv and cp and the like) you will immediately notice the difference that leads to different behaviour.

#4 2018-11-06 22:26:18

Thrawn

Thanks for the clarifications, I didn't know that split packages were possible.

I take that makepkg is clever enough to only build package_$pkgname() depending on the requested package?

#5 2018-11-06 22:29:36

Scimmia
Fellow

No, it builds both. You choose what to install.

#6 2018-11-07 02:43:51

eschwartz
Fellow

Thrawn wrote:

I take that makepkg is clever enough to only build package_$pkgname() depending on the requested package?

What's a "requested package"? makepkg looks at the contents of the "pkgname" array, and that's what has been requested...

You can modify the PKGBUILD to only be whichever one you want, I guess, of course you could also modify the PKGBUILD to not be a split package! In fact, that's exactly what you'd be doing.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer