You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-18 04:11:03

adamk

Upgraded xorg - can't get X to run again.

I tried to upgrade Xorg based on the Wiki Entry.
I was having bitstream-vera problems, so I followed the instructions about removing xorg and upgrading everything...

Well after a while waiting for all package to download, it says it can't update the packages because of /etc/hosts or some /etc file.
So I upgrade xorg and the related packages and try it out.

X does come up, but my optical mouse doesn't scroll or have the rest of its buttons. I see that there's a wiki on fixing this so I follow it. Add evdev, udev/ rule 20-mouse, update xorg.conf, etc.

Now X doesn't come up - it freezes and I have to pull the plug to reboot.
Even if I take out the mouse from xorg.conf and remove the udev rule I still can't get X to startup.

I changed the mouse 'Auto' protocol to ExplorerPS/2 and got one of two monitors to engage (first is a riva TNT; second is a Matrox Millennium - the  one that doesn't come up.)

I can't even get the /root/xorg.conf.new file to come up with X now.
The only EEs I get from the X log is that [drm] Direct rendering is not supported for my Matrox card; and Cannot read V_BIOS for the NV (Riva) card.

Looking for any help I can get.

Thanks.

Adam Krolnik
Co-author "Assertion-Based Design"

#2 2006-08-20 19:39:15

adamk

Re: Upgraded xorg - can't get X to run again.

I guess the new Xorg doesn't properly handle different display cards for dualhead systems.

Adam Krolnik
Co-author "Assertion-Based Design"

#3 2006-08-21 20:40:25

jondkent

Re: Upgraded xorg - can't get X to run again.

Have you tried running hwd -x (after backing up your xorg.conf file) to see its auto generated config works.  Often used this to debug X problems.

Board footer