You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-18 17:43:11

lumiwa

printers, fonts

Hi!

I remember long time ago when we had at work IBM RISC macnines and IBM AIX Unix. We had also IBM printers and the most difficult job for admim was how to set up IBM printers to work on IBM Unix. Another problem were fonts. I was 1991 and now is 2006 and printing are still not so easy under Unix, linux. And still there are many problems with fonts.
Anyone has an aswer?

Mitja

#2 2006-08-18 22:07:13

jaboua

Re: printers, fonts

I didn't see a clear question...

Anyway, if you're asking if it's hard to setup fonts and printers: fonts should work OK by default and printing is really easy - you just install cups, start the cups daemon and connect to localhost:631 in a webbrowser and you will get a webinterface to setup printing.

#3 2006-08-19 00:21:31

lumiwa

jaboua wrote:

I didn't see a clear question...

Anyway, if you're asking if it's hard to setup fonts and printers: fonts should work OK by default and printing is really easy - you just install cups, start the cups daemon and connect to localhost:631 in a webbrowser and you will get a webinterface to setup printing.

My opinion is that setting printers and fonts are still not so easy. I just wrote that was 15 years ago difficult and we had many problems.
And BTW after I don't know which update of cups and libs and...my printer stop working and I gave it to my wife's computer and it works.
And this is no good. If printer was good 3 years on SuSE and Debian and few months on Arch too and than after updates stop working is something wrong.

#4 2006-08-19 13:42:27

jaboua

It probably stopped working because the printing drivers gimp-print was replaced by some printing drivers named gutenprint - in other words reconfigure the printer and it should work (it worked here after that)

#5 2006-08-20 15:03:23

lumiwa

jaboua wrote:

It probably stopped working because the printing drivers gimp-print was replaced by some printing drivers named gutenprint - in other words reconfigure the printer and it should work (it worked here after that)

Thanks for the explanation but it is realy waste of time and nerves after each update and computer are not my profession.

#6 2006-08-21 17:33:05

jaboua

lumiwa wrote:

Thanks for the explanation but it is realy waste of time and nerves after each update and computer are not my profession.

This was probably a one time issue (perhaps another one will come in 5 years...) - they don't replace the printer drivers every week, relax wink

Board footer