You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-23 16:19:07

fishonadish

[Solved] Intel HD 620 graphic glitches, esp. with video playback

Hi,

I'm seeing glitches with Intel HD 620 graphics (integrated graphics on an i7-8550), particularly with video playback.  There are brief screen freezes every few seconds, which are much worse with an external projector or monitor connected via HDMI.  Does anyone have any further suggestions to diagnose or solve the problem?

I've gone through the wiki article, and have found the least problematic setup is with the intel driver installed, with the TearFree option enabled.
I've enabled VA-API and VDPAU, and GuC/HuC (the problem was there without these, and persists with them).

This happens with VLC (regardless of what I selected for "Hardware accelerated decoding").  I've tested with Youtube and see the same problem, so presumably it's not related to the player.

I'm wondering if the Kwin compositor could be to blame, but it seems to still happen with the compositor disabled.

To make sure it's not just a hardware issue, I tried a Kubuntu live CD, and that seems to work fine (using the modesetting driver).  That doesn't tell me much though, since it'll have different kernel, kwin etc. versions, but at least it suggests it should be possible to fix.

I haven't found any other ideas searching these forums or elsewhere.

If anyone has any ideas to diagnose this further or fix it, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fishonadish

Last edited by fishonadish (2018-11-23 17:10:31)

#2 2018-11-23 16:49:00

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Intel HD 620 graphic glitches, esp. with video playback

In general, but particularly on KDE, the modesetting driver tends to work better, there are some known issues with SNA and the way plasma/KWin composites the desktop. FWIW what's your output for

qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin org.kde.KWin.supportInformation
sudo journalctl -b

#3 2018-11-23 17:10:17

fishonadish

Re: [Solved] Intel HD 620 graphic glitches, esp. with video playback

Hmm.  I had a screen rotation script enabled as a service, and it was leaving lots of errors in the journal.  I've removed it and so far so good...  It must have been it's rotation polling or crashing that was stalling Xorg.

Now I just need to find a handy way to auto-rotate.

Thanks for the suggestion V1del - I should have checked the journal.

Board footer