You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-19 03:18:44

lunchbox

Installing Arch with a rt2500 wireless card [resolved]

Well, is it possible or am I boned?  Seems like the rt2500 drivers are beta and I can't seem to find realtek 8180 wireless drivers.  I was going to just do an FTP install; is there anyway to stick the module in /addons or something? Should I just install the system from cd and load the module on a cd then install the module and load it from there?

I'm not really familiar with the way /addons works.  It seems to just be a *.tar.bz2 that has a directory structure containing modules that extracts to /lib.  Am I correct in assuming this?  If so can I just tar up the rt2x00beta or rtl8010 driver from pacman and insert it into /addons on the iso and reburn?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've exausted all my ideas, as these are the only ethernet adapters I have access to on this machine.  I tryed installing the system and moving the drivers from pacman over, but they were compiled for a different kernel.  I'm going to try moving sources over next.

#2 2006-08-22 03:37:08

lunchbox

Re: Installing Arch with a rt2500 wireless card [resolved]

I finally resolved my issue; albeit a messy resolution.  Basically what I did was a basic install from CD.  After the installation I downloaded a CVS snapshot of the rt2500 sources from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page.  I proceeded to make a 7zip archive of the sources and put them on a floppy.  Moved the floppy over and did a "make" "make install" followed by a "modprobe rt2500".

After that I did the basic wireless setup "ifconfig ra0 up" "iwlist ra0 scan" and at long last I behold my access point.

Board footer