You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-19 16:46:05

wrythe

New to Arch, no looking back.

This is my first post to these forums and I just wanted to say a few things about the current love of my life: Arch Linux.

I've always been a Slackware user; it was my first Linux distribution, and will always be at least that to me. Naturally, I tried out some other distributions (there's just so many) just to see what else was out there, but it was only a matter of time (usually about a week) before good 'ol realiable, familiar Slackware was back on my machine. But a few weeks ago I became increasingly discontent with Slackware, mainly because of it's lack of native Gnome support. There are some 3rd-party Slackware-specific "seamless" Gnome installations out there, but I found them all to be lacking in at least some respect.

I had a friend from Sweden in town a few weekends ago that was an avid Gentoo user and he convinced me to try it. If I were more of a poweruser or had time to keep my machine running with the latest and greatest then I would probably still be with Gentoo, but, alas, I'm not.

Getting to the point (sorry for my incessant rambling), I found a "Slackware vs. Arch" article online somewhere and decided to give Arch a try. I had a base install up an running in about 10 minutes--I couldn't believe it. I had my first introduction to pacman a few minutes later to get X and Gnome installed and I was just blown away. Arch, to me, is the perfect middle-ground between what I like about Slackware (minimalism, stability, a lot of "hands on" stuff) and Gentoo (emerge, mainly). I'm almost disgusted that I didn't try Arch earlier thinking of all the time I wasted dabbling with other distros.

I love pacman--love it. It's also given me a reason to freshen up my scripting skills because, though pacman is incredibly awesome, I really want colored output and more information when doing an -Ss or -Qs. I think it'd also be nice to tell the user which version they have installed, if any, of the package they're looking at. I know there are scripts out there that do both (I'm mainly thinking of pacs and pacsearch), but I working on taking it a bit further in the vein of emerge (strictly influenced by, not a carbon-copy). Maybe I'll post it when I'm done with it (nearly done right now). Forgive me if there is an abundance of stuff like this already out there, because if there is then I haven't found it yet smile

Again, sorry for the rambling. I just wanted to express how much I am thoroughly enjoying Arch.

psearch - manipulate and refine pacman searches

#2 2006-08-19 17:11:05

mucknert

Re: New to Arch, no looking back.

Welcome to the fray and have a nice time with Arch! smile

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#3 2006-08-19 17:22:42

wrythe

mucknert wrote:

Welcome to the fray and have a nice time with Arch! smile

Thanks smile I'm quickly turning into a fanboy.

#4 2006-08-19 19:23:47

Chman
Website

Welcome to Arch ! wink

wrythe wrote:

Maybe I'll post it when I'm done with it (nearly done right now). Forgive me if there is an abundance of stuff like this already out there, because if there is then I haven't found it yet smile.

That would interest me...

#5 2006-08-19 19:24:28

jaboua

Welcome and don't you dare look back wink

#6 2006-08-19 19:32:55

wrythe

Cool... I'll post it in the Pacman forum once it's done.

#7 2006-08-19 19:52:00

detto

Welcome and enjoy ur stay (i bet u will for a looooong time or forever 8) ).
I also was Slack user and never changed my main system for anything else out there (and i can promise u that ive tried ~30 distros from zenwalk to ubuntu to fedora, pclos, debian,... list goes on and on..).
Well... until i found arch and its real sweet minimalism & full control approach but keeping it easy and KISSy at the same time big_smile

i never made a thread for a thank you or s.th. else and think i have to somehow catch this up now.. so, THANK YOU arch team and devs and community for such a nice linux distro!

cheers,
detto

#8 2006-08-20 00:22:31

Eugenia
Website

>I found a "Slackware vs. Arch" article online somewhere and decided to give Arch a try

Heh, probably my articles... wink

#9 2006-08-20 02:33:00

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Eugenia wrote:

>I found a "Slackware vs. Arch" article online somewhere and decided to give Arch a try

Probably, I've read them... wink

Arch Linux Vs Slackware: The Best of All Worlds
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8761

and the newer

Watching the Evolution of Arch Linux
http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=15075

....... me, this is my second day with Arch, errrrr day and a half.... so far... i must say, I like it alot wink  One of your members, jbsnake, bullied me into it wink  He kept bragging about his arch system, and I just HAD to try it.... only way i could shut him up ! LOL.  Now I'm glad he kept harping at me to try it.

#10 2006-08-20 09:01:03

hehejo_
Website

wrythe wrote:

I'm almost disgusted that I didn't try Arch earlier thinking of all the time I wasted dabbling with other distros.

Nono, "wasting" time is good. How would you knew the advantages of ArchLinux if you can't compare it to Gentoo or Debian or any distribution you tried before?

crouse wrote:

One of your members, jbsnake, bullied me into it Wink He kept bragging about his arch system, and I just HAD to try it.... only way i could shut him up ! LOL. Now I'm glad he kept harping at me to try it.

Ha, that's just like me. I converted some people to use ArchLinux cause I can't stop praising it. And now they're happy!

#11 2006-08-20 09:44:07

palandir

There are apparently many ex-Slackers who are very confident with Arch Linux (like myself too), and that's no surprise to me. Arch is very similar, just more "modern" and even simpler and more fun to use.
I already tried many other distributions, and my choice nowadays is:
Desktop: 1. Arch, 2. CRUX (if source-based system) or Slackware (if binary-based system)
Server: 1. Debian

#12 2006-08-20 22:11:51

wrythe

Chman wrote:

It's up now. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=24279

#13 2006-08-20 22:16:42

wrythe

Eugenia wrote:

It most certainly was... this one here

#14 2006-08-20 22:17:35

wrythe

hehejo_ wrote:
wrythe wrote:

I'm almost disgusted that I didn't try Arch earlier thinking of all the time I wasted dabbling with other distros.

Nono, "wasting" time is good. How would you knew the advantages of ArchLinux if you can't compare it to Gentoo or Debian or any distribution you tried before?

Point well taken, heh.

#15 2006-08-21 02:35:41

sash

My wife made an interesting observation yesterday. She said:  "Ever since you installed Arch Linux , you stopped dwonloading and trying out different distros."

That comment made me realize how content I am with Arch Linux, and that I don't feel like I "need more" from the distro I use. Arch has been the sole OS on my rig for a while.

Now, her x586 box is another story...

#16 2006-08-21 03:01:07

dolby

New to Arch, no looking back ,

is just exactly how i feel the past 2 weeks

great title for a post. credits to the author. it even rimes smile

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#17 2006-08-21 04:23:38

Anonymo
Website

Well to me there are 3 "best" distros.  There is Arch because I like the init, pacman and i686, Slackware, because of pkgtool, simplicity and stability, also UNIX-like.  But there is a third for me, which is Zenwalk, which is Slackware-base install with a slackpkg-like clone that checks for dependancies.  It doesn't remove programs, there is pkgtool and is Slackware-compatible.  Using it now until Slackware 11 and until I get my video card working correctly on Arch.

#18 2006-08-21 17:32:18

test1000

hehejo_ wrote:

reading threads like these?  8) There are a bunch of threads that talk about arch's benefits.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

Board footer