You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-10 02:55:50

cjbconnor

BCM4352 not able to connect to networks

I installed arch on my thinkpad x250 using the installation guide. I also installed broadcom-wl-dkms for my wifi card (BCM4352), and loaded wl.
ip a returns the following:

3: wlp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether c4:8e:8f:fe:91:af brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

However, I can't or see any networks using either wpa_gui or NetworkManager. If I add a network manually, I also can't connect to it. Also, starting NetworkManager causes my touchpad to stop working until I reboot. rfkill reports that nothing is hard or soft blocked. What do I need to do in order to get wifi working?

#2 2018-12-11 15:52:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: BCM4352 not able to connect to networks

First, I'd be really sure you need 'wl'.  I view that as a driver of last resort.  If your hardware is indeed a 4352, then that seems to be the case, though that surprises me on a Thinkpad (Thinkpad wireless is usually well suppoorted by the linux kernel ... macbooks are not).

Second, I'd disable any/all networking services, the set the interface up: `ip link set wlp3s0 up`, then confirm that there is an 'UP' inside the angled brackets in the output of `ip a`.  Generally this step is not needed, but it's worth checking whether the interface can even be put up.

Then try scanning with your favorite tool (I'd start wpa_supplicant, and scan with wpa_cli).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer